• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MURS

Chong

Feb 5, 2006
DX land Ohio
anyone else here run it? we got a group of about 10 of us here in north east ohio who do its a nice change from cb and its not as offical as the ham bands what do ya all think?

My wife and I use it here in central Texas. She will not get her ham ticket but does like the handyness of radio. It works very well for us, 15 to 20 miles mobile to mobile and about 30 miles base to mobile.

We use it here, on 151.940. I only get about 4 to 5 miles mobile to mobile, and about 12-15 miles base to mobile. My base antenna is just a discone, and the mobiles are 2 meter 5/8 wave magmounts cut for MURS. My house is in the woods, so that cuts my range down a bit, I think. I am also right on a river, so low elevation as well.

I use my Yaesu FT-847 for the base, set for about 5-10 watts usually, and the mobiles are both the 2 channel programmable Radio Shack 19-1210 mobiles they closed out a few years ago, both set at about 5 watts.

One of these days I am going to get a couple of nice VHF commercial mobile sets and use those, and try to upgrade my antenna situation and get a gain antenna, maybe even a small beam mounted a little higher.

It is a cool band, and a pretty unused one, at least around here. I do have a couple of business users on 154.570 around here, but they are almost out of range from me, and I just PL them out if I have a need for that frequency.

yep

i also use 151.940 i run a GE MVS right now range here is mobile to mobile 50 miles and base to mobile up to 70 miles and sometimes we talk DX to indiana i run a hustler g6 when dxing otherwise i run a 1/4 wave 2meter antenna on my roof and the mobile antenna is a larson 5/8 wave mag mount for 2meter its nice :) 73 - Chong

yep

wll with at least 50 watts and a good antenna you get far personally i got 150 watts behind me so im all set and we do get dx on MURS its crazy but it happens

i always tell people in person
that murs sucks

yet it is far better then GMRS/FRS

reason i tell others it sucks
makes easier to talk with others when i want to on murs....lol

ya

ya were on MURS as our secret channel to get away from people on the cb haha but i do tell people that MURS sucks so noone will get on it and noone around here really knows about it so its all good

I have talked from brunswick, oh, to Ft. wayne,IN on my GE with 40 watts. I have a home made 2 meter beam i made. Im 5 stories high about 1200 ft. above sea level. I have talk to a friend [GARY] in the mobile from here to sandusky . darn good trip. TERRY [ spike ] :LOL:

Any of you guys know where to get 2 used 19-1210 base units or similiar one's

Thanks
DOCTOR/79
got one ...IN FACT 2 OF THEM

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.