• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need ideas

This thread is nowhere near that bad yet. Your questions we're pretty much answered in the first few posts. If you are wanting an amp for the lower bands, it is justified. Most hams with a good signal don't want to sift through the noise to hear you. It's not complicated at all really. The al50b is the best bang for the buck.

Reactions: hillbilly101
How many yagis on 100 watts would it take to equal a dipole or vertical at 800 watts? It's at least one, and an amp is way cheaper, quicker and easier than an 80m yagi install. Just saying....

Actually, the real question is what is the db gain when going from 100 to 600 watts?

Yes, in general, you are correct. for 40, 75, 80 and 160 yep an amp is essential but below 40 not really needed just a more of a nice to have.
Research is fine and worth the time.

Haste makes waste. Wasted Dollars that is. There still are people that will research equipment purchases to be sure they get the most bang for the buck. I researched multi rotor camera drones before I bought one. My first impulse buy would have been a total waste of money. I spent almost $1500.00 on my RC bird. I would have bought the DJI Mavic Pro but research led me to my Typhoon H Pro.

The Ameritron AL-80 cost $1595.00, do able price too!

Last edited:
Reactions: hillbilly101
Al-80b is a good good amp from what I hear. Sorry for steering this thread the wrong way but I have taught ham classes and one of the first questions asked is "how much power can I run?" (I know that was not your original question). The usual answer I give is enough to make the contact, be it .5 or 2k watts. As a new ham remember it is all about the antenna, get that as good as possible and then move to improve from there. I don't own an amp, never have for Ham (has a small one when I was active on 11 meters) and honestly I have never needed one. Have I missed contacts? Sure I have but I have also made some great ones, Antarctica being my latest. I worked Argentina and Japan from the mobile on 100 watts. Another example I worked a stations 92 miles away from me while walking my dog, we were on 2 meter simplex and I was using an 5 w HT. Mother nature can do wonders if you let her...

I realize I have a reputation on here as being anti CB and amps but I just try in impart what I have learned, there are many others on here who have far more knowledge than I and that is what makes this a great learning site.

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
W9CLL, I took no offense to your post. Although I do appreciate you taking the time to explain to me your views and experiences. I too am enjoying working with my first HF amateur radio station. I don't do too bad with 100 watts and a wire, but there are times on 40 and 80 meters where the qrm is at a level that I cannot move an S meter. Most of the time, that doesn't bother me. I'm not at a point where I'm trying to work the world. I am having fun contacting the states adjacent to my qth. I especially enjoy working stations in the state that I grew up in (Wva). I have made contact there, but I have missed many there also due to band conditions. I live in an area where my antennas need to be compromised at best. Small lot, close buildings, and overhead power lines. I understand there is no perfect antenna for every station and every area. The amp was just one more avenue to research, and usually I respect and welcome the opinions and experiences of the fine people here at WWDX.

Reactions: 2RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.