• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New cobra 148s

9Lives

Oct 3, 2012
These crappy radios suck.. we all know it.. none of the less I have one here in decent condition and I want to see how well I can get it to work.

In am I can't get the carrier any higher than 4 watts. This is not a problem for me, but in testing it seems like I should be able to peak it a lil higher. I got it to 10 avg birds watt on a 100 watt slug. I don't have a pep meter at the moment. Does this seem right or a lil low? Maybe a poor driver?

I'm not looking for cobra 29 pwr.. I know better than that. Just playing basically, nothing to loose. Regulator upgrades?

here is afix I have tried one time on the new 148's and it worked on it. not sure who 1st posted it but you can look at it. this is for the newest ones out that have the front mic socket on them. you did not say what 148 you were trying to work on.

Attachments

• cobra 148 warble repair ,malaysa radios pdf.pdf
    22.7 KB · Views: 39
They only suck if you try to modify them to make them do things they were not designed to do. They are great as a legal CB radio. Why complain about it. If you want more power buy an amp, a crappy export radio or use a Dosey watt meter.

Reactions: 1 person
No, they do not suck.. Buy one, take it out of the box, don't open the cover and mess with it... Put a kicker behind it .. and it works awesome on AM and SSB.. Very loud and clear.... I get great reports.. As good as any radio I have... Including the Stryker 955 etc.
MrDoug...

No, they do not suck.. Buy one, take it out of the box, don't open the cover and mess with it... Put a kicker behind it .. and it works awesome on AM and SSB.. Very loud and clear.... I get great reports.. As good as any radio I have... Including the Stryker 955 etc.
MrDoug...

No they pretty much suck, even with a factory spec alignment. They warble on SSB and are average at best on AM. They were a complete compromise at every corner and with every part they could find cheaper or eliminate.

As far as yours sounding as good as the Stryker...lolol.....I'm gonna hit the BS button on that one. It's your story though so you can stick to it, you might find some newbie that will believe you.

Reactions: 2 people
MrDoug...

Right out of the box one will be doing 7-8 watts PEP @60% modulation, if your lucky. The receive will need aligned and the radio checked to see if it's on frequency. That's not great or even good.

I bought one about a year ago and I must say, I have to agree with 9C1Driver. Poor quality and not even close to being on frequency. Once I tuned it, it works ok. A little warble on sideband. I use it AM only in my vehicle.

MrDoug...

Getting "Great Reports" doesn't mean squat. You have to hear the radio with your own ears because most cbers will give you "great reports" if they can just hear you. If that 148 is as good as your Stryker 955, something is really out of whack with the 955.

Reactions: 2 people
Getting "Great Reports" doesn't mean squat. You have to hear the radio with your own ears because most cbers will give you "great reports" if they can just hear you. If that 148 is as good as your Stryker 955, something is really out of whack with the 955.
Whatever you say... me ham too, so I do know something about this. N7JGN...
MrDoug

I'm a HAM also... But you still have to hear it yourself. There's only about 3 people that I trust to give me an objective report.

Not unlike the 5 by 9 crowd.

Ok. You guys win. You must have some kind of animosity against Cobra. That's the conclusion I have arrived at... Sheesh. :headbang

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.