• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New cobra 148s

I like the old 148 radios very well. they messed up on the latest version. just like the resister that feeds the PLL is a 1/8 watt 10 ohm and it burns up after awhile. they had to put out a service bulletin on it due to radio failures for you to go to a 1/2 watt resister. the radio would just have major failure and nothing would work.
it is just the last 148 they put out has a lot of problems.

Don't forget the soundcrappers. After 1997 the Cobra 148s come in 2 quality/performance levels, worse and worser!!
The post soundcrapper Cobra AM radios can still be made to talk by a good tech but they are still throwaway radios.

Reactions: 1 person
being a ham doesn't mean someone knows what they are talking about no more than being a CB'er makes someone a dumbass .

never herd a good , decent or OK front mic 148 myself on SSB . on AM they seem to be ok , not terrible but nothing special either .

thankfully unidens 980 has finally put a stable SSB CB radio on the american market again . (y)

you could put uniden , browning , tram , etc. on the front of the radio , it is what it is . there's not many folks sharing happy stories with it ..... apparently you got lucky mrDoug .

get the frack over it ....... please :)

Reactions: 1 person
Hey, don't get me wrong either. I wish cobra would turn it up a notch! Id love to be a cobra fanatic.. problem I love their pcbs. Much easier to work on then say.. galaxy.. problem is, they just haven't kept up with the trend.. I don't understand with magnum doing what they do you'd think cobra would put out a game changer.. I guess some one is raking in cash on the 29 still.. it's like Nike.. they got that name..

I really want to try one of these magnum 257. I had 15 min convo from south ga to Michigan today with one. Sounded good!
By the way. Has any one heard me on 38lsb here yet? I've been getting mad contacts. 004 south east ga. Id like to know if I've talked to any of you.

The old side mic plug 148s were are if you can find an unhacked one still one of the best CBs out there ever made.

It has been proven by different members of this forum and other forums that the new 148s simply are not good quality radios these days from what I have read.

I have never owned a front mic one or have I heard one so I can not really say for myself.But it seems to me if there are several people saying the quality of a radio isnt as it should be just maybe there is some truth to it.

But I will say this....if you have picked up one of the newer front mic plug 148s and it is operating as it should,putting out a good quality signal and audio.... that is one worth hanging onto !!

Reactions: 2 people
I once got a set 2sb817 to put in a galaxy. It came with a set of the complimentary pairs of npn. 2sd1047. I put one in the new cobra for the hell of it. Replaced the other one with 2sc1384. Similar to 2sc945 but a tad heftier. Pretty good results if I can get the damn thing back on freq I think I'll leave it alone.

I agree that these radio are complete junk! I got one once and it would swing backwards on AM and only do about 5 watts on SSB. Later i ended up scraping it for the controls, display, meter, ect. If your looking for a new CB, DON'T buy the new 148 get an old one from the '70s and 80s or a good export like a galaxy 959. These radio are loud, proud and always work.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.