• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Ham, Need Help

Hey WD: GM Did you order anything yet?... Got your CALL:love::LOL:
Sorry have not gotten back in on the antenna or anything just yet...But have a couple of ideas...
Just work load presently...it's football season!:mad:;)
Hope all is well 73
All the Best
Gary W9FNB

Hey WD: GM Did you order anything yet?... Got your CALL:love::LOL:
Sorry have not gotten back in on the antenna or anything just yet...But have a couple of ideas...
Just work load presently...it's football season!:mad:;)
Hope all is well 73
All the Best
Gary W9FNB

No call yet;( Not even a record of my application. Just a little white paper that says I passed haha. No worries on the antenna! Have been doing some reading and research and I'm being patient about the whole thing, so no problem:) Some of the guys here showed me the Ventenna haha which could be a neat option for getting on the air quickly with a different rig.

Update: looking at the kenwood tm-v71A with a ventenna set up. Seems like that could be the trick to get me on the air quickly, this radio also seems to be equipped with a function to use echo link when using a computer in conjunction. Cool feature for me because I have an older family member who uses echolink exclusively in a different area of the country. I assume I still need all the key equipment mentioned so far, but now that I'm going dual band is there anything else I should pick up while I'm making an order?

Echo link may be my key for now, but I'm hoping to get something for HF in some time when I can situate antenna space. So I think that's just on the back burner for the moment. Let me know what you guys think! Thank you!

Update: looking at the kenwood tm-v71A with a ventenna set up. Seems like that could be the trick to get me on the air quickly, this radio also seems to be equipped with a function to use echo link when using a computer in conjunction. Cool feature for me because I have an older family member who uses echolink exclusively in a different area of the country. I assume I still need all the key equipment mentioned so far, but now that I'm going dual band is there anything else I should pick up while I'm making an order?

Echo link may be my key for now, but I'm hoping to get something for HF in some time when I can situate antenna space. So I think that's just on the back burner for the moment. Let me know what you guys think! Thank you!

I have a TM-V71A. Really a nice rig! The Yaesu FT-8800 is a good one as well. Maybe a little pricey for your total budget, though. If you don't need to monitor two bands at once, or need cross band repeat, the FT-7800 is a good way to go and save some money. Again, if you.have a repeater that is close to you, an inexpensive Baofeng/Pofung UV-82 is a neat little HT, and will get you on the air for about 30 bucks. Nowhere near the receiver quality of the Yaesu/Kenwood rigs listed, but a heck of a lot of fun anyway!

Brett

Reactions: DainBramage
Hey Guys...Brett (y)
I think this could work! Looking at the height of those trees...maybe dam GOOD:LOL:
Thinking though the 40m-6m version (66") would fit nicely...not sure at distance there maybe even the 80m-6m version(130')
With those trees and a fishing pole launcher and some parachute cord...
Can you hear me NOW:D
What do you think guys? I think the young Jedi could pull this off(y)
All the Best
Gary
WD antenna path.jpg

Reactions: 2RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned