• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

On a Car or Truck...are there some Antennas that really make a difference?

70cst

Dec 4, 2009
I now use a Galaxy 99 but soon I will be using a Galaxy 95T2. I have a Wilson 5000 Mag-Mount. (the option of drilling a hole through the roof is not a feasibility) :thumbdown:. With this being said...Are there other mobile antennas out there that would really would make a difference in the way I can send or receive? As many have said...the key to successful CB Radio operation is the antenna. Just curious. Thanks (y)

If that Wilson 5000 mag-mount antenna is working well for you now, then why wouldn't it work well if you swapped radios? The radiation pattern isn't going to change because of the radio connected to it.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 2 people
I now use a Galaxy 99 but soon I will be using a Galaxy 95T2. I have a Wilson 5000 Mag-Mount. (the option of drilling a hole through the roof is not a feasibility) :thumbdown:. With this being said...Are there other mobile antennas out there that would really would make a difference in the way I can send or receive? As many have said...the key to successful CB Radio operation is the antenna. Just curious. Thanks (y)

102" whip installed on a good permanent mount, in a good location, with a good groundplane.

Either a Wilson 1000/5000 mag mount or a quad mag mount with a Mr. Coily/Predator type antenna is just fine - IMO. Finding the best might be a process of trial and error though. I run a 99v too; but I run a Sirio Z-180/6 1/2 ft whip on a Wilson mag mount on the top/center of the vehicle. Doesn't whip around much and works great. That has worked the best for me.

Well...I must be having a brain drain because I have a Wilson 1000 and not a Wilson 5000. :redface: Are the Sirio Z-180/6 still avaliable? I have been reading good things about the Sirio antennas. Then again I have not read any thing bad about the Wilson 5000's. Just thought I would ask before I get the 95T2 back and installed. Thanks again...(y)

Last edited:
Well...I must be having a brain drain because I have a Wilson 1000 and not a Wilson 5000. :redface: Are the Sirio Z-180/6 still avaliable? I have been reading good things about the Sirio antennas. Then again I have not read any thing bad about the Wilson 5000's. Just thought I would ask before I get the 95T2 back, Thanks again...(y)

Not much difference between an 1000 or a 5000 - IMO.
If you have one, it will work just as well as the other. The only difference is in power handling capacity, as the 5000 can take more watts.

They don't make the Z-180 any more. They make an equivalent with the Sirio 4000. The tide of time and popularity is going with the Predator these days; never owned on myself. But someone gave me a cheap copy of that antenna, and it does work quite well on 10 and 11m on a tri-mag mount. You have a lot of useful options, including staying with your 5000 for one. But a Predator/style or a Sirio might be another thing to check out. The Sirio has a longer length; and I liked that. Almost 12 ft from the base of the vehicle (Honda CR-V) to the antenna tip.

Update ...The Sirio 5000 is now on sale (WEB Special) for 49.95 so I thought at that price I would give it a try.

-Specials

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.