• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

On a Car or Truck...are there some Antennas that really make a difference?

The 'thing' about that rather 'whippy' 102 inch whip in that viddy, is that it is a bit too whippy. SWR will change drastically if you drive down the interstate at speed. Might be a problem.

The Sirio 5000 with a 6 1/2 ft whip is much thicker at the base of the whip than it is near the top. Doesn't move much at all - one of the other nice features that it has - besides working beyond expectations.

A 102 inch whip will beat its performance - yes. But with a whip that is as wambly as the one in the viddy, you would be better off either parking when you talk - or get a regular gauge 102 inch whip so that it doesn't move around as much at freeway speed.

Just saying . . .

I don't know if this lowers receive...but you can hook them back instead of letting them flop around......some of the local CBers around here are into mopeds......their antenna of choice is the 102 whip....and they get out pretty good. :)

I don't know if this lowers receive...but you can hook them back instead of letting them flop around......some of the local CBers around here are into mopeds......their antenna of choice is the 102 whip....and they get out pretty good. :)

It not only lowers receive but puts the radio at risk of blowing the final transistors - due to the fact that SWR will be 'off the hook'.
It will probably be outside of the proper operating range - in other words.

Go ahead and check your SWR when you tie the whip down.
Prolly waaaay off!

Last edited:
It not only lowers receive but puts the radio at risk of blowing the final transistors - due to the fact that SWR will be 'off the hook'.
It will outside of the proper operating range - in other words.

Go ahead and check your SWR when you tie the whip down.
Prolly waaaay off!

I do not own a 102 whip......I just ordered a wilson 1000...my supercrew sits up so high a 102 whip would be way up in the trees....a 62 wilson is bad enough. :)

The 'thing' about that rather 'whippy' 102 inch whip in that viddy, is that it is a bit too whippy. SWR will change drastically if you drive down the interstate at speed. Might be a problem.

The Sirio 5000 with a 6 1/2 ft whip is much thicker at the base of the whip than it is near the top. Doesn't move much at all - one of the other nice features that it has - besides working beyond expectations.A 102 inch whip will beat its performance - yes. But with a whip that is as wambly as the one in the viddy, you would be better off either parking when you talk - or get a regular gauge 102 inch whip so that it doesn't move around as much at freeway speed.

Just saying . . .

I'm looking forward to hooking up my Sirio this weekend. I have a Wilson 1000 but after getting my Bot-A-Sized 95T2 and seeing a major difference in TX/RX when compared to my 99V...I have the itch to start improving or at least trying other set ups.

wilson 1000 base load will be cheaper and as good. youll not need 5000 watt capablity unless your really goin with alot(huge) amp:)

I hear ya and you are spot on but...I got a good deal on a Sirio 5000 so I am going to give it a shot. This I know...the 95T2 beats the heck out of my 99v. Its been so long since I was into CB's I forgot all the fun that I use to have.

Reactions: 1 person
My 6" Mag Mount is in so hopefully this week I will get my 5000 hooked up. Who knows...A Sirio today and a Predator tomorrow (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.