• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ontario, Canada banning CB's

Sonwatcher

Apr 6, 2005
Colorado
While the Ontario Trucking Association’s ban on hand-held cell phones, texting and other communications devices while driving follows similar laws in Canada, it aslo includes a first: a ban on Citizen Band Radios (CBs) and similar two-way radios. The provincial government is looking to phase out CBs within the next three years, operating on the expectation that hands-free technologies will be developed in that time to replace them. The law officially takes effect Oct. 26, 2009, but tickets for non-compliance will not be issued until February 1, 2010.

More can be found here-

Over & Out: ON cell phone, texting ban includes CB radios | MY ETT News

and so it begins...

the government has included truckers’ Citizen Band Radios (CBs) and similar types of two-way radios in the ban. According to the Ontario Trucking Association, the government plans to phase out CBs and similar UHF/VHF radios over the next three years, assuming that two-way, hands-free technologies are developed within that time.

they aren't just going after the cbers either

Just a head's up on that amateur radio operators were removed from the list. You can transmit when driving. It doesn't mention CBers.

Having watched the last few weeks, lots of people are still suing their cell phones. It's not often that you get a chance to observe CBers in the middle of a transmission, unless of course, you're on the highway. I should point out however that this law will not stop users of any types of radio equipment.

Anyway, here's the link to the announcement.

ARES Ontario (Amateur Radio Emergency Service - Ontario Section)

What you expect from a communist country.

WTF is that supposed to mean? :angry: Go live in China or North Korea if you want to know what a communist country is. At least we have provisions for dumping our government if the majority rules which is more than you guys can do. You are stuck with your government for a solid 4 years regardless. Now who looks more like a communist country?

WTF is that supposed to mean? :angry: Go live in China or North Korea if you want to know what a communist country is. At least we have provisions for dumping our government if the majority rules which is more than you guys can do. You are stuck with your government for a solid 4 years regardless. Now who looks more like a communist country?

relax comrade.your rights are eroded everyday by your so called big brother.:thumbdown:

jesse10x,
Sometimes, it really helps if you know a little about what you are talking about before you embarrass the rest of us.
- 'Doc

The article points out a 'proposal' to ban CB radios. Governments don't always get the things they ask for - if the people can object and register their protest. They have no more right to take away this privilege than our own government does. If Canada 'cans' CB's; they are suppressing free speech. This is true because people can listen to the CB radio; the nature of the conversations is public domain. They stand nothing to gain and a lot of creditability to lose if they take it to the next step. Makes no difference if it is a trucker or a non-trucker; the gov't would be breeching that agreement/law. It clearly appears to be an act of government intrusion on the ability to express oneself freely under the guise of a safety regulation proposal. Because - that would be the net effect...

When any government tells the people what they will have - and leave the people out of the loop to make that decision - they call it tyranny...

LMAO!!!!!!!!

Bravo, my bud to the north!!!

The only thing your post lacked, was "strong language to follow", lol

Someday that law will be here in the good ol U.S.A. and when that happens i will retire from driving a semi truck. It gets scary when you pass another truck at night and the driver is on their lap-top computer. i have seen this many times lately. Hmmmmm where is their minds ???? Not on the road.

Sounds just like Colorado, we're a :right to fire state" but I will say that the mounties so look ghey in those pants.:love:

Sounds just like Colorado, we're a :right to fire state" but I will say that the mounties so look ghey in those pants.:love:

They would look even moreso without them. :D

Second thought,which pants? The jodhpurs? I agree with that. The regular pants are fine but those jodhpurs,thankfully, are just part of the dress uniform.

I'm from Ontario.
They have been talking about doing this for years. But from what I hear its actually going through. Its includes cb and commercial radio.
The people pushing this law have no idea how hard it going to make life for truckers, people that work in the bush or companies using commercial gear.

I can't believe its actually going through.....Its one of the most retarded laws I've heard of in awhile.
It a perfect example of just how many village idiots there are in the Ontario Government.
There is most likly some self rightious a$$hole trying to move up in politics behind this crap.

They don't spend their time with worth while causes like child abuse, rape, crime, lowering taxes, creating jobs ( lots of unemployment in Ont.), etc etc
No... the big priority are those people talking on 2 way radios while they drive.
Our Canadian tax dollors at work....

I'm sure someone could train monkeys to do a better job
F#cken retarded idiots!

Bushwhacker, I agree. Somewhere, someone behind this is probably running around with a piece of paper with stats showing the reasons for accidents. High on the list is driver inattention and that has been snowballed into what this has become.The belief that using a handheld communications device will cause driver inattention and thus cause accidents is what I suspect is behind this. As for someone wanting to move up thru government,maybe but don't rule out MADD. MADD makes me mad with their self righteous extreme policies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.