• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Optima MK3

Well, going with Yeticom for the amp, having it paired with the radio sounds like the way to go!
Thanks all!
Sorry for all the confusion I may have caused..... Just that this newbie wants to get it right! First time out!
Especially if there is only one left, just ordered!!!!!!

Reactions: 222DBFL
as mentioned a dx500 is a good match my business partner has used one with his optima for many years and most that want a amp with the radio go for that option .

no need for "matching" as the drive requirements are dead on however in fm mode i would reduce rf power ..we only sell the turbo version of the dx500 and sadly i only have one left in stock (and its a 2879 version) i have no idea if we are getting anymore since the 2879 is now not used by texas star

as for crusher..yes i know him well we talk on and off about amplifiers and have corresponded a fair bit over the years
i would also recommend bmt ..again i know chris well at bmt..was chatting to him earlier on
both crusher and bmt make regulated/tracked biased amps suitable for ssb (or any other mode)
So that means that the optima power does not need to be reduced to run a dx500v on am or ssb? Everything I have read says it needs a 2 to 3 watt deadkey, more bad info I guess.

You got the last one hey?? The DX500 turbo? Good deal if so. Mike will take of you. And yes I know Crusher a little. He did some amp work for me. Job done well!! Was going to remcommend BMT amps as well, but only know it as BM amp. BMT seems more logical thinking about it!! Anyway, glad everyone is making out here and you'll have a sweet setup there KsKev!!! Post up some pics when you get the stuff!! Like I said I am sure that you'll be happy with the setup!! Have a good day!!

Reactions: worldwide320
as i previously posted i said to reduce drive when on fm ..that should of included am carrier as well..my bad ..yes turn the rf power control down for a carrier mode

as for ssb 40w is not over driving a dx500 ..@ 40w drive its about 500w on the bird

rf power controls were made for reasons other than cbers turning them to the hard right!

ok me back to packing up these late orders

Reactions: NZ8N and 222DBFL
Finally wired up the dx500 tonight. Power all the way down on am, and verified a 80 watt dead key. I thought I was good to go, until I smelled the smoke exiting around the power button. I'm just a stupid CBer I guess.

Reactions: Mudfoot
That doesn't sound like a drive or radio issue. That sounds more wiring/power switch issue.
I forget what AM low is on the Optima (mine has been changed from stock so I cannot check).

I know that a 2 watt DK drives my 2x2SC2879 ~75 watts.

Have you opened it up to see what the source of smoke was?

Last edited:
Reactions: NZ8N
That doesn't sound like a drive or radio issue. That sounds more wiring/power switch issue.
I forget what AM low is on the Optima (mine has been changed from stock so I cannot check).

Have you opened it up to see what the source of smoke was?
I should mention the the amp is mounted on end and slightly angled. Any smoke from anywhere inside would naturally come out the power switch. I opened it up, and all I noticed was the output so239 was slightly loose. I don't see anything that looks burned up.

I should mention the the amp is mounted on end and slightly angled. Any smoke from anywhere inside would naturally come out the power switch. I opened it up, and all I noticed was the output so239 was slightly loose. I don't see anything that looks burned up.

Did you find out what was smoking?
Is it functioning?

i was thinking you had a swr issue burning up the combiners ..
a loose so239 would do that ...
was that the antenna socket or the radio input socket?

look at the combiner/spliter (L3 AND L4) and the 10 ohm resistors on each pill ..(R18/19 and R25/26)
also the switching transistor (Q2) and its protection diode (D2) if its not keying right

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
i was thinking you had a swr issue burning up the combiners ..
a loose so239 would do that ...
was that the antenna socket or the radio input socket?

look at the combiner/spliter (L3 AND L4) and the 10 ohm resistors on each pill ..(R18/19 and R25/26)
also the switching transistor (Q2) and its protection diode (D2) if its not keying right
It was the output to antenna. I'm guessing I moved the coax after checking the swr, and it was the resistors on the combiners that was getting hot? The only other thing that looks odd is the black spots on the coil in the pic (not very smart about this stuff obviously). The real question is how should I proceed now? 20160215_201234.jpg 20160215_201245.jpg 20160215_202022.jpg 20160215_202502.jpg

Last edited:
I hooked it up again, and it seems to work. Swr of 1.5 with the amp on. On sideband the amp won't key until the power is almost all the way up, and it pegs the amps rf meter, and reads 450 on my meter. It stays at this reading until I unkey the mic. Is this normal? This radio will be a lot more fun with the extra power I'm sure. Thanks guys

Take the amp out of line 338. You are on the verge of ruining the entire amp and possibly your radio. If you look very closely at the photos you posted you will see that the board got so hot it actually melted solder and also looks like it may have taken a couple of traces with it. Right by the relay and the also near the coil. And I also see you have possibly damage the keying circuit as well. So best thing to do is take amp out of Service!!! JMHO. Send it to a good amp tech. There is one here on the forums you can PM and see if he will work on your amp. Ask politely and he might do it! Crusher is his user name. He is a good amp tech and will fix the issues if possible!! The main thing is the transistors, hopefully you didn't blow one of them. Doesn't sound like it yet, but you keep keying that amp up and it will end up letting the smoke out fully next time.
Lesson well learned!! Always double check things before you click the amp on and just start talking. Especially if you have been moving equipment around! And leave an swr/power meter hooked up after the amp Always!! This will let you know right away if there is an issue.
A decent cross needle meter for VSWR/power would work well for what you need. This way you can monitor both VSWR and output power at the same time. Again these are JMO's and some may disagree. But I'd take the amp out of line and have it looked at by a good amp tech at least. Don't have to be Crusher, but at least someone that knows WTF they are doing!! I just know that Crusher is one of the few that actually knows what he is doing and he don't need no stinkin You Tube Vid for that LOL!! He actually fixes shit, not in it to try to be an actor if you get what I am saying!! Anyway, again, JMHO, but again, I would pull the amp out of line and shelf it until you can have it looked at by an amp tech. Good luck and don't let the smoke out!!

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
Do not over drive you ts 500 ! my optima is set to 2.75 dk.
I have in line power meter BEFORE the amp to keep a eye my power in-put to amp.
I use RF knob to "tune up my RF out-put on SSB keeping in-put to amp at no more then 20w pep.....just for safety.

Having the meter after the amp would also work , no? I mean with amp turned off, the meter still shows the power output of the radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.