• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Painting antenna

Yes you can. I contacted several antenna makers and they all said go for it. Even new, several coats of white will help keep the UV from burning the original coating off. They (Cushcraft and others) said spar varnish would not last as long so I used Krylon. Nothing like metalic (silver etc) and not sure if I'd use primer or not. I didn't. If it's your first time WEAR GLOVES and save the itching from the glass fibers in your hands. I did put maybe 5 or 6 coats of white and then several coats of clear over that.
Shouldn't be any problem painting the base (coil cover) on a mobile. I've never seen one in bad shape to really need it though.
As for the green color not a problem if you might want to make it more stealthy but I'd still put several coats of white on it first then the green over that. The white will still help reflect the UV that can damabe the antenna over time.
Far as the green goes, a friend had bee hives in a "neighborhood'" and he painted them green so most folks would never see them. Most of the time we painted them white to reflect some of the sun and heat as they are usually out in the open. The bees didn seem to care either. (y)

The bees like it if you paint each of their hives a different color - it helps them navigate back to their own home.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.