• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Poll: Which brand is best at SSB?

Which brand is best at SSB?

• Cobra

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Galaxy

• Superstar

• Total voters
Moleculo said:
they are under modulating highly unimpressive AM radios.

OK, we're getting waaaay off topic here, but... :) :)

Most are not under modulating. They're properly modulating. A properly modulated AM transmission has a 4:1 peak to carrier ratio. For those that like the "CB sound", you're hearing an over-modulated transmission. That's fine too, if that's what you like. Different strokes for different folks....

My kenwood can run from about 10 to 45 watts of carrier, and sounds good at 10 to 1 (max). It didn't, however, do that stock.

Ask any of the bigger stations on the Superbowl about my Kenwood... Prime Minister, Doc Adams, Mean Pill, Crack Carter.. I've talk to all of them, workin my Kenwood, on the bowl. It wasn't with a huge maul, either... 2 tubes, glass. So, yeah... Cleanliness goes a LONG way.. And a good antenna (I was working my ground plane at the time....).

And it wasn't once.. I do it regularly. So, psycho. You bring anything you want, up to 100 watts output, and let's play. I'll put my kenwood against anything you can bring. Tube / solid state.... 1 antenna, nothing else fancy.

After I whip your radios ass, I'll kick the shit out of your Class C amps with my Texas Stars.

--Toll_Free

I know that as far as Ham radios go there have better filtering than your everyday CB or Export, that being said I don't have one(yet). :LOL:

I do have a 2950DX and a couple of 2510's. The 2510's have a night and day difference in the receive side when compared to the 2950DX. I can have a S1 or less signal that is perfectly clear on the 2510, switch to the 2950DX and it isn't there at all or is there with so much static you can't understand it.

With that I will add that it probaly doesn't matter because he ask about CB radios with SSB. Not Hams or Exports. :twisted:

dway87 said:
I just bought a Uniden Grant XL from DTB radio for $140. I hope it's worth the money I paid for it.
.............you'll be glad you got it....I have several radios including a 2 Yaesu 101 series, but the Grant XL on a 20 amp power supply is my main talker. I voted Uniden as well.

Coalburner said:
The 2510's have a night and day difference in the receive side when compared to the 2950DX. I can have a S1 or less signal that is perfectly clear on the 2510, switch to the 2950DX and it isn't there at all or is there with so much static you can't understand it.
The 2510 and the 2600 are BOTH Uniden radios. Are you starting to see a common thread here?!

I do not know if they have a single or dual conversion receiver like the 148/2000/Grant however.

I think the ONLY CB/Export radio to outperform the Unidens will be the NEW SSB Stryker. But, we'll have to actually see one first!

Master Chief said:
The 2510 and the 2600 are BOTH Uniden radios. Are you starting to see a common thread here?!

I do not know if they have a single or dual conversion receiver like the 148/2000/Grant however.

I have the service manual (w/ block diagrams) on my bookshelf. When I get a chance I'll grab a quick peek and see ...

Master Chief said:
Coalburner said:
The 2510's have a night and day difference in the receive side when compared to the 2950DX. I can have a S1 or less signal that is perfectly clear on the 2510, switch to the 2950DX and it isn't there at all or is there with so much static you can't understand it.

I think the ONLY CB/Export radio to outperform the Unidens will be the NEW SSB Stryker. But, we'll have to actually see one first!

And that is why I voted for Uniden!! It is also why I will never get rid of the 2510's that I have :twisted: :LOL:

Hey Coalburner ? How do you have a Cobra 2000 mounted to your mobile ? I've always wondered if going with one of those on my car rather then the 5000 roof mount might make a differents and if it would even be worth my time ? Hear tell the coil more towards the middle is the better way to go ? I suppose the longer shaft might be the better way to go ? I'd really have to come up with a hell of a mount for the set up on my car , I have thought about it over the years, but I really hate wasting my time if I don't have to.

It is a Wilson 2000 mounted to the mirror on the Pickup truck.

Although I have since removed it and mounted a 102" directly behind the cab centered.

It always worked good though. :LOL:

thanks for the reply CB , I have used the 2000 on a triple mount for a short time and in did work very well !! My only problem with that was it just looked to damned off the wall if you know what I mean . This is why I personally refrain from the 10K's and there looks even though I would like to try one of those someday. thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.