• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power Microphone - Radio Key Up, Audio Delay Issue

The multiple resets worked for the RD but I must have the resistor in the wrong place on the 636L.

Thanks for the advice! How often is the delay coming back forcing a reset? Reset after changing mics maybe?

Every once in a while. Usually when I want to change a setting in which a particular setting doesn't change. It reminds me of a Westinghouse tv I once owned. Same thing. My 8900 is in a mobile and I haven't tested it on a stable power supply yet to see if it acts up on that.

Would like a replacement for what my soon be VERY hard to get radio but $50 is hard to shell out for that mic.

I know. I just can't quite want to part with $50 yet. As for me,if I want to use my 8900 five,ten,twenty years from now,a replacement mic would make sense. That goes for reselling it down the road if I want to sit on it and treat it like a collecter's item. My brother collects radio stuff with some items up to forty years ago but those items are in new mint condition and still in their original box and for the most part unused. It's what you want to do with it.

I know. I just can't quite want to part with $50 yet. As for me,if I want to use my 8900 five,ten,twenty years from now,a replacement mic would make sense. That goes for reselling it down the road if I want to sit on it and treat it like a collecter's item. My brother collects radio stuff with some items up to forty years ago but those items are in new mint condition and still in their original box and for the most part unused. It's what you want to do with it.

No I don't want them just as collector items, I have one for the car and another one for my base station and like you plan on using them for many years to come. But I've been inside one of the stock mics trying to reverse engineer it and have thought about taking its guts and putting it into another case because I hate the form factor. Before I do that I would want a replacement.

The feeling of regret I still have over selling some good equipment in the past causes me to keep what I have and buy the good stuff coming out nowadays. Along with my new CRE 8900's, Magnum 257hp and Sirio 5000 Performer, I still have a Grant XL (untouched), Cherokee AH-100 (w/ channels), K40 (radio, mic and antenna), Road Devil, and Big Stick. I may be interested in adding the Yeticom Optima MKIII and a Sirio Gain Master.

Reactions: 1 person
I might have to undo the radio powered road devil mic an put the battery back in. I can't run the mic's gain anymore than halfway before it squeals and the stock mic is louder. Wiring that extra ground to shield obviously degraded it's performance. Before,I could run the RD up to 3/4 and not feedback and was much louder.

Running the Road Devil again after clipping the extra ground wire to shield solder point on RD's pcb board. Got the 8900's mic gain at 63 and the RD's gain at just a little under the halfway mark. With the engine running,it talks okay but with engine shut down the voltage drops and it starts making noises in the audio. It makes more practical sense just to remove the volt reg I placed in the mic that steps down the battery voltage to 9 volts(8.85). So,that's the problem. In a mobile setup there is not a stable voltage to run the RD with the engine off.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.