• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power supply for Uniden Grant

12 Amp power supply,try to stay away from the Pyramid Brand,Triple Lite or better Astron will do the job and if you decide to get a 45 or 50 watts PEP Radio you will be cover.
Or get the biggest as you can,won't hurt to be prepare for the future if you decided tu run it along with a mobile amp.

My 2 Pesos
Tecnicoloco
CDX-171
Sonora,Mexico
73's :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

do not think a heavy duty power supply needed

so go to rat shck for a 10 to 15 amp supply
they hadd a 20 amp on sale recently

it has to say regulated on it...
regulated simply means it is more guarenteed not to drift from say
10 volts to 14 volts....so it wont smoke or power surge into your radio

ofcourse there are different degrees of regulation
since you are talking low power radio no need to go crazy

it needs 2 amp minimum to work on ssb. i recomend a good 3-5 amp.

to figure out how much you need take watts (true for exaple a grant will do 18-20 real output) and / by the voltage to get amperage. math doesnt lie.

18watts/12.4 (standard voltage for most power supplys) = 1.45 amps under full load. figure an aditional 20% for overhead and power to run the radio and round up. 2 amp min 3-5 would be better.

no...

here is how it works...

say you need 3 amps

your power supply is 5 amps...
how many amps is your radio taking (3 amps)

now lets use a 1 amp power supply
what does your radio take (3 amps)

does not matter,if your power supply can handle more then your radio needs...
HOWEVER
if your power supply is to low an amps
your radio still will want to and try to pull 3 amps of that 1 amp power supply....
for a little bit it might work...usally not....eiether way it your radio is demanding the less powered amp give it the power it wants and needs...
now your less enabled power supply is a fire hazard !!!!

it will only draw what it needs, if it needs 2 amps thats all it will draw. if you were to add more voltage and change the voltage regulator to a higher value it would put more power out. it would make any difference. it takes a 4x power increase to gain 1 s-unit signal strength. if your radio is doing 18 watts you would need to make 60 to see 1 s-unit. after that its 180 watts and after that its around 700 or so.

i will add
i think having a supply that can put out 50% or more then needed is favorable...
simply for it is never stressing itself..
and even if it is a cheep power supply one need not wonder how acurate they clamed output ability is

Amps ? Hmmm , always the better to have more then one needs rather then less to cause a mess. )-: The more the merrier. (-: better safe then sorry , and that goes for both amps and radios. Like KC said , you can always have more then enough but not enough can become very costly.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.