• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power supply for Uniden Grant

Thestonerguy said:
dway87 said:
I want to run a base setup with my Uniden Grant. What would be the best power supply to run it?

Nothing big - something in the 4/5 amp size will do. Anything larger is overkill. Unless you get a killer price on a larger PS. Astron is pretty good.

Hmmm , Overkill huh ? I will say again ,better safe then sorry !! 4 to 5 amp is really pushing it !! , My guess would be that the radio itself was more then likely tuned on a 75 amp or more power supple to begin with. This reminds me of the guy who said he didn't think it was importent for him to have a fuse at his battery concerning his 1K amplifier , again I say ,better safe then sorry. It's all good Stoner dude (-: IM not saying your wrong here , IM just getting to old to live life on the edge anymore. Peace

A 5 amp power supply is plenty. You could connect it to a 500 billion amp power supply and the radio still would not use 5 amps.

The only thing the bigger power supply does is provide you room to run more equipment in the future.

i would recomend 10 amp
in this way he is never stressing the power supply
(never needing to use it to its fullest)

It wouldn't stress a 5 amp PS.

I emphatically agree with this though:
KingCobra_CDX882 said:
and even if it is a cheep power supply one need not wonder how acurate they clamed output ability is

Ok and just trying to say
he need not go crazy on a big supply for the radio
when i error i intentionally error on side of safty and then reliablity and lifespan of product

I'm the same way....always err on the side of caution. I'm not going to tell him he *needs* a 10 amp though....as we both know it's not the case.

well i look at it this way
my Icom 706 MKIIG needs 20 amps
My Icom IC-7000 needs 22 or 23 amps (i forget)

so i use mostly my 45 amp continuous supply
sometimes i use my older Tripp 40 amps
my back up supply is a comet 35 amp

even though i know full well
my back up to back up supply is a rat shack 20 amp
and it works all just fine

i just uncomfortable in using such a power supply

that is perhaps more my quirk though
LOL

ok ok ok ok (-: I every now and then test "used' power supplies along with new ones , I have taken a tuned Grant XL on a 5 amp supply and you bet your a$$es it worked !! but I also put that same Grant on a 12 amp supply ,not only were the lights brighter but the numbers were more. Yeap !! I say better safe then sorry , but yes !! a pesky 5 amper will work. (-: I honestly don't care what IM doing in this hobby , but I more so want more then I need just for my own piece of mind. If somebody asked me , I'd at the least tell them to get a 7.5 amper. (-:

Switch Kit said:
ok ok ok ok (-: I every now and then test "used' power supplies along with new ones , I have taken a tuned Grant XL on a 5 amp supply and you bet your a$$es it worked !! but I also put that same Grant on a 12 amp supply ,not only were the lights brighter but the numbers were more. Yeap !! I say better safe then sorry , but yes !! a pesky 5 amper will work. (-: I honestly don't care what IM doing in this hobby , but I more so want more then I need just for my own piece of mind. If somebody asked me , I'd at the least tell them to get a 7.5 amper. (-:

the only reason the lights would br brighter is the voltage is set higher on the one supply. amperage has nothing to do with it

Carl said:
the only reason the lights would br brighter is the voltage is set higher on the one supply. amperage has nothing to do with it

Unless he is talking about transmitting. The voltage could start sagging with the 5 amp supply, depending upon the draw of the GrantXL.

Rich

a 5 amp power supply will support 63 watts output, a uniden grant tuned by god and powered by lightning will not come anywhere close to 63 watts of power. true power is around 23-25 tops. (thats 55 cb watts to you dozy guys)

i agree you always need bigger for saftey reasons, that why i suggest 20% overhead and than go to the next size. in this case he should use a 3 amp, even though he could get away with a 1.5 or 2 amp.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1