• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Interference

357magnum

Feb 25, 2014
Coventry RI
Well it finally happened ! After all these years my moat has been crossed , walls are being climbed & my 679' OSL Station has been invaded ! They started building a new house right across the street from me over a year ago . They finally hooked up the power , WOW do I have problems ! Noise is so bad I can't here my locals ( 20 miles away ) .:eek: Not sure what route I can take ? I'm not a Ham , so I'm thinking 11m people have no rights in a case like this ? I need to try & get my Mobile up the long Driveway so I can see if noise is being generated from house or New Transformer directly across from me . But talk about Security Cameras ! Better than mine ( that don't interfere w/ me ) the house has the kind that sweep if you trip them . :whistle: House is not sold yet ( 575K ) I might try & chat w/ the builder but we all know how that will turn out . Magnums getting too old to spend the night in the " Hoosegow " ! :LOL: Just hoping when my new beam is up I can get some rejection . Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless , Leo

I know Gary ! :whistle: Time to hit the Books again ! Being licensed might help ? Not sure ! My Bad ! Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless ! Leo . Ps , not that I haven't been told ! By my WWDX Members ! :) Ps , Ken , Gary is Loving this ! ....... As he should ! :LOL:

Last edited:
Reactions: S&W357
But " No One " regardless of Band Choice , should have to Deal w/ 15Db's of Noise ! :whistle: My wife has Zeon ( ? ) lights over the Center Island in the Kitchen , They cause me grief , but she only uses them for a little while . This House has wiped me out ! Builder is kind of a " :censored: " so talking w/ him, won't help me . :whistle: Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless , Leo

Dan , That's what Iv'e been doing , My mobile setup is that Big . Old Cobra 140 GTL w/ xtra channels , King Bee 250 , & my Trusty Old Turner + 2 . Iv'e gone as far as using my Silver Eagle & SSK , while Static Mobile . Just got my Sadelta Cm-40 back & haven't tried that in my Fairly new 4 Door Ford Lariat PU ( Pearl White ) . Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless , Leo

I like operating from the pickup, Leo.

I park by the salt water, screw on my copper pipe antenna, open the windows...and away we go.

Laptop sits on the center console for logging and whatever, got an extra clock Velcroed in place for UTC time, and the Dodge with factory two batts and 200 amp alternator takes care of the power.

And if I’m trying to be stealthy, or the band is just dead, I drop a couple lines in the water :)

Dan , I was big on Jumper Cables & Salt H2O for a long time ! Use to park my 63' Ford Econoline on the Boat Ramp , put to jumper cables together , toss them in & have a ball ! No Power then just my first radio a $29.95 Radio Shack TRC - 9 , 3 channel Xtal . Then in my Junior Year of HS bought a 36' Chris Craft Wooden Cabin Cruiser , put a 23 ch Navaho Base in the Fly Bridge connected to a Big Stick my DX days got rolling Big Time ! Ahh the memories ! :LOL: Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless , Leo

I tried over 20 years ago and I didn’t think it made a difference. I blasted a copper radiator and connected it to a 4 awg cable hooked to the frame of my pickup. Tossed the whole mess into the salty river inlet (ocean water).

I may have to try it again. My go-to spot has my front bumper hanging over a bay on the ICW. Would be very easy to play around.

As an aside...locals around here got to thinking “salt” was the miracle for everything...even mobiles. Some were building copper wire “spiderwebs” in their headliners, and then running a ground off anything and everything into a 5 gallon bucket of saltwater and old copper scraps.

I still laugh thinking about the some of the stuff I’ve seen in the CB world :p

Dan , Might have been being young & not that educated , but one thing for sure H2O has always " Seemed " to be my friend . I lived water front on a lake for 25 years before moving to our new QTH , never had a problem there either & my A-99 was only about 35' to the tip . Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless , Leo

Reactions: 2NC995
Well it finally happened ! After all these years my moat has been crossed , walls are being climbed & my 679' OSL Station has been invaded ! They started building a new house right across the street from me over a year ago . They finally hooked up the power , WOW do I have problems ! Noise is so bad I can't here my locals ( 20 miles away ) .:eek:
You do not need to be a ham. The no radiation powers come from the FCC. Notify the builder that there is a problem and notify the inspection office about it. If you get no satisfaction call the FCC.

That sucks so bad. Seems like you cant get away from s9 interference anymore. Modems, security systems, tv"s etc all make so much rf noise its ridiculous. Oh, and those sensor lights are the worst, OMG.

Reactions: 357magnum
I feel sorry about you. Electronic smog kills the hobby.
Lucky me, I have my station countryside while living in city. Zero noise. Remote access from any place in the world.
Mike

Reactions: 357magnum
Thanks all for your input . (y) I went mobile today , didn't take much right across the street . I went by New Transformer installed by local power company . pinned my needle , drove to house approx another 100 yds . , needle went flat ! I called power company & they said they would send someone out next day or 2 . :whistle: Thing is they moved an older transformer Approx 50' away to this pole , the old one gave me NP's ? I'll keep you up-dated . Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless , Leo

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.