• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Shack TRC 485

Zman

K9FON
Nov 26, 2009
Anyone have any cool mods for this neat little gem?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 153

Other then a basic tune that's about it. The chip used is FCC friendly and will not permit extra channels. Nice little cb sets that scan and are stable on SSB.

Eh ill pass. It has tiny litttle pins to the PLL and you have to unsolder 3 of them. Too small for my bad eyes!! besides now it wont receive for some reason and i didnt nohing to it.

I had a brandnew one for awhile years ago and it is what it is just a bsic no mod ssb radio I gave mine to a young kid just getting into radio years ago. Ide buy another just fo the showing in my collection but thats about it.

Years ago I had one, two different techs said the PLL has to be swapped out to get channels. Unless something new has been discovered about these it would still be that way. Same goes for the 10 meter version model when trying to get 11m.

Hey Rod, where you at in the UP? Each summer we go to St Ignace and Mackinac Island. Great country up there.

". . .
As a note of interest,when the radio is turned on it will have four modes...blank,AM,USB and LSB.Initially it comes on in the blank state where there is no TX or RX.Pressing the mode switch will give you the active modes.
The NB button changes the bands,all are lettered in the display except for the CB band.Full coverage of all bands is not possible.Adjusting the VCO coil (T8) will give specific bands coverage.If you tune it for 25 Mhz ops you will lose the top bands and vice versa.I recommend adjusting it to cover your operating needs.

RV10:AM power adjust,RV6:ALC adjust.
Recieve section will need realigning for 10 meter operation . . ."

Seems that is somewhat selective, as the VCO voltage will need to be biased twards either one part of the band width or the other. This may be remedied by using a resistor and a switch so that it can do both upper and lower band width.
Just a thought . . .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.