• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RECEIVE DROPS ON BOTH SETUPS

Easy to do. Disconnect both ends of the cable, connect one test lead to the center of the cable and the other to the out side and press test. Setting up the meter is easy too.
The manual should cover all of that.
I bought one way back and helped a company improve their Quality and saved them money to boot.
I watched a few YouTube videos and it seems pretty straightforward. If the coax has been compromised in some way I will then ask you guys what the next step is. I'm assuming what one reply suggested would be what I would need to do. I can't imagine that lmr400 would be having any issues anywhere but at the ends (pl-259) of the coax. This lnr 400 is only 4 years old. I'm finding it difficult to believe that the problem could be anywhere but at the ends and nowhere towards the middle. That snow storm we had was when the first indication of the high SWR showed up. I initially purchased a hundred and fifty feet of the coax. I only needed a hundred and 15 ft, but left an extra 10 ft on. If some moisture happened to get into the pl-259 that goes to the antennas feed point I will just remove about 5 ft of it and add a new pl-259. Unfortunately I won't be able to do this for a while. So until then the cover will be going over the station, and it will be in hibernation for a month or two. It'sucks because if I could do it myself I would do it immediately. But my disability won't allow for that. I will have to rely on a friend or family member to do it for me. If it happens to be my IMAX 2000 that has been affected bye the single-digit temperatures during that snowstorm I'm not sure if it can be repaired, and I'm not too worried about that. I will either purchase a new one or go in the garage where I have a brand new unopened a 99. I really don't want 2 Chainz to a lesser antenna so the chances are I will purchase another IMAX. What a bitch! Looks like I'll be off the air for a few months. I'm not comfortable operating with an SWR of 2. These old amplifiers even though all have been recapped and refurbished could only be negatively affected by using them with a high SWR. I'm looking forward to seeing that 1.2 to 1 that I'm used to. I feel very comfortable there. it is what it is I guess. Thanks for everything tall man. You've talked to me in many situations and I definitely appreciate it. I appreciate the help from all the members. Thanks again 73 s

Hey Sonar I got mine today and have used it already. I tested a transformer that I suspected had a primary to secondary leakage. It proved transformer bad.

Reactions: Sonar
Hey Sonar I got mine today and have used it already. I tested a transformer that I suspected had a primary to secondary leakage. It proved transformer bad.
6 I also received mine. I won't open it until I am ready to use it. I might not even have to use it for that antenna/coax situation. I have a suspicion that the pl259 on my antenna has come loose again. It did that about a year-and-a-half ago. And the SWR readings although weren't as erratic were similar. I'm really hoping that's all it is. Easy fix. I purchased some of that coax connector tape. If it is loose once I tighten it I will apply that moisture/waterproof tape that's made specifically for that purpose. After that I don't think it will ever happen again. 73's

Reactions: Tallman
If you get it down far enough that reach that pl-259 take loose and from inside the house take the other loose and test it. That's why you bought it right? Test it at the highest AC volt for insulation testing. It is either good or bad. Fluctuations in the read could indicate failing dielectric due to moisture.

These meters can also read Volts AC/DC and resistance.
NEVER EVER TAKE A RESISTANCE READING IN A LIVE CIRCUIT.

Digital insulator tester.

Putting the above into your eBay search engine will bring up the pictured one first. ....

Putting "Digital insulator tester" in the search bar at Amazon also brings up quite a few options including this one.

I have to say when I read Tallmans original post mentioning these my first thought was "sounds expensive", it was quite the pleasant surprise to see what they go for.

Be sure to give us a quick review of the ones you guys got.

Putting "Digital insulator tester" in the search bar at Amazon also brings up quite a few options including this one.

I have to say when I read Tallmans original post mentioning these my first thought was "sounds expensive", it was quite the pleasant surprise to see what they go for.

Be sure to give us a quick review of the ones you guys got.
In all honesty if my antennas pl259 is loose. I'm not even going to test the coax. I'm going to tighten it up, go inside, turn on the station, and key the microphone. If that pl-259 is as Loose as it was the first time that's what's causing my crazy SWR issues. If the pl-259 is tight the next thing I will do is open up the box to the insulator tester, install the battery read a quick review on how to use it and test both ends of the pl-259. If it's not the coax. I will add a picture of my IMAX standing up in my garbage pail. I have totally convinced myself it can only be one of two things. The coax or the antenna. Nothing's wrong on the inside. With the dummy load hooked up the SWR is perfect 1.1: 1. If I look with a magnifying glass it might even be just a bit lower which I think might be common when using a dummy load.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.