• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RM Italy mobil amps

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
Looking at amp models kl-203p. And kl-200p the 203 is mosfet and the 200 has 1 MRF-454 is the the 200 is slightly more but is it the better amp. And yes I know you get what. You pay for in these amps

I have never used the 200 but I have a 203 that I have used since about 2003 and a buddy that also has one and it works just fine on AM and SSB. I have never done any thing to mine but my buddy drove it with a 2950 on high power and blew the mosfets in it and replaced them and it still is working strong.

200 vs 203

Get the 203 and don't worry about the "P". It's untuned receive noise amp. I have one and replaced the FET's with IRF520 FETS and got more power out. Only about 10 more watts but adjusting the bias could provide more.

I have no experience with the KL-200 but have read a few places where they don't fare as well if you are using SSB. Seems they can be choppy. So if SSB is part of the picture you may want to do additional research.

I have a KL-203P and have had good success. You will need to add a fan if you have any extended conversations. As another stated, the preamp has been useless for me.

I also have a KL-503 which is what I used most often. If size is not an issue that would be my suggestion. It has a slightly lower input rating but you would most likely want to make that change for the KL-2xx. It has a higher amperage draw as well, but well within what I would call a reasonable range. It stays cool even during longer chats and very clean on both AM and SSB.

I have no experience with the KL-200 but have read a few places where they don't fare as well if you are using SSB. Seems they can be choppy. So if SSB is part of the picture you may want to do additional research.

I have a KL-203P and have had good success. You will need to add a fan if you have any extended conversations. As another stated, the preamp has been useless for me.

I also have a KL-503 which is what I used most often. If size is not an issue that would be my suggestion. It has a slightly lower input rating but you would most likely want to make that change for the KL-2xx. It has a higher amperage draw as well, but well within what I would call a reasonable range. It stays cool even during longer chats and very clean on both AM and SSB.

I've got a kl200 and yes it is choppy on sidband. boxed mine up and got a 503 and it sounds great on sideband. the 203 from people I've spoke with say it does very well on sideband. Stay away from the 200 if you're a sidebander.

The 203 does do well on SSB, just don't over drive it. 10-12 watts pep with a 1-2 watt dead key is all you need. The uniden 980 pairs up well with these amps. A fan is a must though as I have heard they do get hot. Another option would be a uniden 980 with an rfx150. They are simple to install and work well on SSB. But again fans are required as the unit gets hot.

Reactions: 2 people
I've got a kl200 and yes it is choppy on sidband. boxed mine up and got a 503 and it sounds great on sideband. the 203 from people I've spoke with say it does very well on sideband. Stay away from the 200 if you're a sidebander.

Hmmm. Have you installed one on a 980ssb? Mercy. Mounting is a bit of a challenge the first time but oh my gosh it is an excellent match for that radio on SSB. It really does wonders. That radio has all the tools but lacks the punch by itself. Good sidebander.

CbRadiosPRONTO

I use so many different radios and amps just to stay familiar with stuff. With all the crazy mfrs out there I won't mention names, DM,XF,FB,TNT, RM, just get a Texas star 350 or 500. They simply just work. They're very efficient and sound great on SSB. Nobody has any idea I'm running power. It sounds just S good on SSB with the amp as without. You can get all technical and might, ooh I think I coined a phrase, but at the end if the day you want something that will increase your power and have no negative audio quality affect. For a CB amp, am it SSB, they're fantastic.

I've been a little gun shy of Force for the last few months however , I just had them build me XForce 200HD with Class B (SSB delay) and it has been very nice. In fact, I ordered another one.

CbRadiosPRONTO

I've been using the RM Italy's for years also.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 19

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.