• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Starter HAM setup?

Zeedood

Aug 6, 2023
I've wanted a HAM radio since the late 70's when I first heard about them. Life never allowed for it, but times change.
I love nostalgia and was thinking about getting a vintage Heathkit for my first setup, something akin to the photo below.

What are your thoughts?
heathkit.jpg

Old out of date gear with no service. You are at the mercy of whoever built it. Notice my signature line? Nothing against Heath really but you better be a decent tech. I'd pass.
I wasn't sure if those old rigs had any support or not. You never know how long some random manufacturer makes parts that are compatible!

When I was a kid, Heathkits were all the rage. Always wanted one, just because, ya know? hehe

New to the site, where would I find your signature line?

I wasn't sure if those old rigs had any support or not. You never know how long some random manufacturer makes parts that are compatible!

When I was a kid, Heathkits were all the rage. Always wanted one, just because, ya know? hehe

New to the site, where would I find your signature line?

Purple text right under my post. It says:

Swans and Drakes do NOT belong in lakes. Maybe some Heathkits do, depending on who built them.

Swan and Drake being two other manufacturers of ham gear.

Reactions: Zeedood
If you have someone who can keep the old stuff working its pretty cool to have a station like that. If I were you and just getting started I would find something just a few years old or go with an Icom 7300 or Yaesu FT 10 or something like that. Also get the best antenna you can and get it high as you can and just have fun.

in the Yaesu line the ft-101e there is a guy here in fl that's all he only works on, just had mine service by him he has a FB page call keeping the Yaesu ft-101 alive

Reactions: W4KVW and Zeedood
I've wanted a HAM radio since the late 70's when I first heard about them. Life never allowed for it, but times change.
I love nostalgia and was thinking about getting a vintage Heathkit for my first setup, something akin to the photo below.

What are your thoughts?
View attachment 64952
Welcome! That is a nice setup, I would love to have as well. If it has all recently been refurbished, that would be great. If it is original, plan on sending it to someone to go through it. It would also be a good excuse to buy a backup radio, because you can't have just one.......

Reactions: Zeedood
I Had Three Yaesu FT-101 stations & every time I tried using them they would have an issue.All had been recapped & had a new final tube but they were a constant problem.My local Tech passed away so I had no one near me that could work on them every few days.I Sold them all & I don't miss the headaches.They were the FT-101E FT-101D,& FT-101B. One was loaded with the AM Filter & the SSB Filters.When they worked they were Cool but that was never for very long.

Reactions: Ranch55 and Zeedood
I Had Three Yaesu FT-101 stations & every time I tried using them they would have an issue.All had been recapped & had a new final tube but they were a constant problem.My local Tech passed away so I had no one near me that could work on them every few days.I Sold them all & I don't miss the headaches.They were the FT-101E FT-101D,& FT-101B. One was loaded with the AM Filter & the SSB Filters.When they worked they were Cool but that was never for very long.
I'm going to guess there are no American made HAM radios at all.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.