• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SUPER TINKER "VICTORNOX" SWISS ARMY KNIFE

Switch Kit

Apr 6, 2005
Been using these pocket knifes since I was kid , will not leave home without it. (I don't fly on jets) This is my ever trusty Super Tinker (I switch between the original Tinker and the Super model) If you are a handy dandy kind of guy , I would highly recommend one of these babies for a life time of uses.If the main cutting blades are taken care of , they will sharpen with ease everytime to there original sharpness. My question to anybody out there is this , Does anyone know what this tool is for ? I've asked many people over the years and they didn't know what it was , many guesses though. Somebody once said "fish hook" remover ? Hmmmm ? Anybody know for sure ? Thanks , PS , If you ever really want to treat yourself to a fine life long pocket knife , one of these will surely do the trick. Peace.
im002088nt5.jpg

im002091sm1.jpg

I used to carry a Buck knife until I found a brand new Swiss Army knife on the beach while looking for fossils. That's all I carry now. You got me stumped on what that tool is for.It's obviously for hooking and holding something but what?

Victorinox now calls it a "multipurpose hook", which I guess means there is no longer a purpose for it. Originally, it was considered a "parcel carrier", that was from when parcels were wrapped in brown paper and bound with twine. You would hold the knife body as a t-grip and put the twine in the hook.
Nowadays, I've seen some creative efforts to try and make use of it. Some have suggested a coathanger for camp use, I guess they would put the hook on a line between trees and put their coat on the knife body (I've never seen it done or tried it). More realistic suggestions were to use it to pull the tab on a sardine can or pull up a tent stake. I don't think it is really long enough to fish wires through a hole, especially coming out of the side, but that is what came to my mind when I fist saw it.
It is just an outdated tool that should be replace by some other implement, maybe a serrated blade.

I knew about the multi-purpose hook saying , but hey Hillbilly ! you had some pretty good ideas there !! great knife ,but I don't know how much pressure she could take ? lifting boxes with it might be a tough way to go ? it's just the one tool I never found any purpose for. They make so many styles of these knives , and this is surely as big as I want to go for a all purpose type knive for me.I use a nice leather case for it on my belt (IM a belt kind of guy) along with the cell phone on the other side. Ain't no wonder I don't have a pocket protector for other goodies :) IM somewhat a collector of knives , not as much as I once was though. Bucks , Kabars , Scharde , Gerber's ,I have many of the in the pocket clip type style's ,when it all comes down to it , The Victornox Tinker was truly the knife that has helped me the most through out my life. Nowadays I have no need to carry anything else.Here's just a few of many.The older brass handled one is a vintage Gerber lock blade , you could honestly shave with that nasty sucker.
im002092sg0.jpg

How about an awl (sp) used to pull your buckskin lacings when making a buckskin vest. Kinda like a needle point hook.

On edit, I carry the camper. The one I'm on now is about 16 yrs young.

sounds good 714 ! like HB said , I suppose multi-pupose fills the bill for that little hook . for any of you guys looking for a damned reliable pocket knife ? You can find thousands of these on Ebay used at half price or less , here tell the airlines take them from passengers before they get on planes and then they have auctions to sell the stuff and give the money to charity , You could easily pick up one of these Tinkers for under 10.00 shipped used. I could almost say ,that might just be the best 10.00 you ever spent ! SK

Victorinox Swiss Army Knifes are top notch.
I have several, one is the Handyman Model

www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Product.htm?category=doityourself&product=53722&
The Saw blade on it will cut Aluminum.....don`t ask how I know, but it will, even 30 foot up the tower...... and still stay sharp. Good stuff.

As for Muli-tools, It is hard to beat the Gerber's, I have at least 5 sets of LeatherMan tools, A PST, PST II, Super tool 200, and they are good, but the Gerber's are better, the Joint design is a lot more robust on the Gerber 600 models.
And You can get them with a Carbide Cutter now as well, even better if you find yourself cutting stainless wire or other tough stuff.
The blades on the Gerber's are dangerously sharp.

Jeff

Haven't seen one shaped exactly like that before, but could it be a "gut hook" blade for removing entrails from upland game birds? I have an older knife I use for small game hunting that has a gut hook blade but it's slightly longer and has a more pronounced hook shape to it. Extremely quick and efficient to use. Instructions on blade use available........ :shock: 8)

hhhmmmm.....for some reason i feel like saying that its for reaming out a bowl....of tobacco of course...ahem,ahem.....i use these knives as well but i use the smaller keychain ones .i have 1 on my keys now and 2 more as backups .....i use the toothpick everyday...i have used the tweezer on occasions.the scissor is very handy and i use it nearly daily.i use the scissor for cutting mic wires befor i tin them .the blade is very sharp.i have used it in a pinch to open soup cans already.i see alot of copy cat knives of this style but the victornox is the only 1 worth having.oh wait ..i know why i thought that was a pipe reamer ....theres another knife that has this spoon looking device and i was told that it was a pipe reamer.this one is not ..maybe its simply a hook to hang the knife by when not in use?lol.....hey switch ..nice bike in the avatar......those old crate bikes with the 5 speed could burn the tire in first gear...lol.....provided it had the matching slick.

if you were 12 or 13 and you got one of those babies for Christmas back in the early 70's you were some hot shit !! (-: even though I had the Schwinn 2 speed kick back at 12 , Rememeber those ? they only made them for a few years , to many problems I guess ? back in the day it was Shwinn all the way. Usually always perfering the small sprockets with the little holes in them. The bigger ones were just not the same on the stingrays. I had my share of paper routes when I was kid , and there could be nothing but a Schwinn to get my job done.

we were poor and i only had a new brand new bike once (10 speed at xmas) ,i was 13 :wow :bounce :rknrl
i used to take other kids bikes and fix or frankenstine them into new bikes . got a badd azz crome plated boys frame and put a 5 speed rear wheel,bananna seat with a high bar above my head (with a harley bandana on it),cut the forks and put 4 foot pipes painted chrome for the long front end,put a lil (12 incher) wheel on the front and some short chopper looking handllebars .
it was the stuff and when i rode it i was billy bad azz

i think ill go listen to barbara strisand sing memories ...........

oh yea......those old timer sharp fingers were very nice knives

Wow Switch ! You brought back some memories LOL !

I had the Schwinn 2 speed kick back

I had the same bike. Loved it. Bought it used for $40 . I paid my dad back by mowing lawns and cleaning cars. $1 a car and 50 cents an hour mowing lawns. :shock: :LOL: Your the first person I've heard of owning one. Most people I had mentioned the 2 speed to didn't ever hear of one before.

I've got to dig up a few pic's of some of my old Schwinns , Wow ! I just traded off a 77 Varcity that I had for years and restored it , its' just so dangerous in the city to ride a bike anymore (at least where IM at in So.Cal) not to mention my seemingly growing laziness of life. Cars seem so much eaiser :) 5 years ago I baught a Schwinn Sierra , I cleaned it more then I rode it :( think I rode it about 6 times in 2 years before I sold it for less then half of what I paid for it in pretty much mint condition. my all time personal favorite bike was a Schwinn 5 speed Crusier I got in my earlier 20s, This thing was Sweet !! Jet glossy black with chrome fenders !! I mean SHARP !! Sonwatcher . And it drove like a dream. Everybody called it the Caddilac . This is pretty much it other then not being black and with out the front and back chrome rims and a flat bed rack I had on the back for a radio or a six pack.

c1a61ma8.jpg

Yeah, When I was growing up Schwinn and Raleigh were the cream of the crop. That 2 speed was the only Schwinn I ever had. Like to get another one. My father in-law had a Schwinn tandem bike.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.