• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Swing /Modulation

Starduster

Feb 18, 2008
Central Wisconsin
Hello, I am an old 70's CB geek just getting re-interested. This is my first post after just joining the forum.
I do have a question about the the term swing. Just what is ment by swing? In my day we talked about carrier and % modulation. A good station had a strong carrier and not more that about 90% modulation or you would be causing bleed over onto near channels. Is swing something different?
Looking forward to getting back into the hobby.
Thanks, Starduster

'Swing' is sort of the uninformed way of saying percentages of modulation. And, since "more is always better" to those who don't really understand what modulation is and why it's done, the more 'swing' the more better. I mean, if that needle 'swings' further then it's gotta be stronger, right? Right?
Yeah, I know, I know. But how do you convince someone that what they 'know' isn't the way it really is? Don't bother, it's a waste of time...
- 'Doc

I always used to think , that what I didn't know might not hurt me , around these parts , they just might chew you up and spit you out and chew on you a little more if you ask for it. I could say , If I ain't got that swing , I ain't got that thing . Question is , what the hell is that "thing" in the first place ? is it live or is it memorex ? .......I just didn't know what I didn't know ......I only thought I did. "Doc's" right more so then not. (y)

OK, I guess I'll just stick to my old way of thinking, lot of carrier and modist modulation to keep things clear and clean.
I'll be digging out the old mark III and SBE stuff and start the check out. This spring I will be installing a restored super scanner antena - have to wait for the snow to go away. I don't think that this antena is the best but it's kind of neat.
Also thinking of a tech lic.- looks fairly easy to get.
Thanks for the reply, Starduster

Welcome to the Forum Stardust , sounds like you got some good ole cb radio equipment there , if it worked for you then , IM sure it will work for you now.I knew guys that talked on them old Super Sanners , they liked them and they all sounded pretty darn good off of them. Kind of like a beam being able to switch over on those. They weren't the prettiest antenna's I've ever seen but they surely worked. (y) Good luck in the spring.

You might wanna think about that ham ticket again. It's sort of disappointing. I mean, there's a whole new world out there with that ability. you have to/get to do all that checking different radios, antennas and stuff all over again. Might even meet a few people you like. Some of them might even be like you in how you think. Terrible thought, isn't it!?
- 'Doc

Hello, I am an old 70's CB geek just getting re-interested. This is my first post after just joining the forum.
I do have a question about the the term swing. Just what is ment by swing? In my day we talked about carrier and % modulation. A good station had a strong carrier and not more that about 90% modulation or you would be causing bleed over onto near channels. Is swing something different?
Looking forward to getting back into the hobby.
Thanks, Starduster
welcome to the fourm and back into radio.
swing is a term used now days for forward power or peak power.and i agree with
what ya say .only i go for 100% modulation ANYTHING over that is over modulated
with your current radio gear id run it exactly like ya did back in the day.however if
ya deciede to get newer stuff and amps these newer radios got alot of power.and thats
really when the carrier and swing [forward power] are talked about alot.

I am thinking of a new set up but also thinking about what W5LZ says. Right now I have switched my focus to getting that ham ticket. Just about ready for the test. It looks like one coming up in the area March 10th. I really hate the idea of either being restricted to 4 watts or breaking the law to have more fun so I'm going for it.
Kind of wound up about it now.
Thanks all for the reply

Last edited:
I am thinking of a new set up but also thinking about what W5LZ says. Right now I have switched my focus to getting that ham ticket. Just about ready for the test. It looks like one coming up in the area March 10th. I really hate the idea of either being restricted to 4 watts or breaking the law to have more fun so I'm going for it.
Kind of wound up about it now.
Thanks all for the reply

Yeah, I run a certified radio on my base because my neighbors are so close, but I enjoy talking to the locals in my area 2-10 miles away. I run a modified radio in my mobile, I been studying off and on for my ticket after being on the CB airwaves for 25 years.

Good Luck :D

On one more note about legality on CB you can run a 4 watt radio and the local law enforcement can tell that they can give a ticket for public disturbance, because the FCC has left most of the enforcement to the local police departments if they have a ordinance.
HAM radio ops is protected from that kind of stuff in most cases.

On one more note about legality on CB you can run a 4 watt radio and the local law enforcement can tell that they can give a ticket for public disturbance, because the FCC has left most of the enforcement to the local police departments if they have a ordinance.
HAM radio ops is protected from that kind of stuff in most cases.

Hams are not protected from distrubing the peace or city ordenences ,the same applies to them.

if a cb is causing disturbance the operator is at fault, if a ham radio causes distrubance its the recivers responcability but the ham must take steps to reduce the disturbance.

they cant get tickets by cops as they are not goeverned by the police as cb's are. they cross state lines and therefore are federal juristiction.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio