• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Swing /Modulation

if a cb is causing disturbance the operator is at fault, if a ham radio causes distrubance its the recivers responcability but the ham must take steps to reduce the disturbance.

they cant get tickets by cops as they are not goeverned by the police as cb's are. they cross state lines and therefore are federal juristiction.

Is this a written law per say - or just how it is?

"Is this a written law per say..." - No it isn't, as stated. The federal government has a preemption which state or local governments can not assume. If the interference is from a federally licensed station then only the federal government has jurisdiction. Since 'CB' radio is not licensed, there is no federal preemption and so 'CB'ers fall under the jurisdiction of other levels of government. Doesn't matter if that license is for amateur radio, commercial radio, or any of the other licensed services, no government level except the federal government has authority to do anything to them. UNLESS the federal government delegates specific authority to another agency, and that authority is for very specific instances. That license sure comes in handy sometimes...
- 'Doc

cool let us how ya do

Well I was able to find a test today in a nearby town so I went for it.
Now I have my General class ticket. If any one is interested in getting your Ham ticket, check out http://www.hamtestonline.com After a few hours of study using the method on that web site you should be ready. It is the best method that I seen. So it cost 50 bucks, but it works. I tried for the Extra class ticket because it was free if you passed the Tech and General test but i didn't study for that one so no luck. If I would have known that it was also free I would have studied for that one also. I'll have to go for it after some study. They get tougher as you go.
Always wanted a Ham ticket. No regrets. Can't wait to see what my call sighn willl be.
JUST DO IT, YOU CAN
Starduster

'Swing' is sort of the uninformed way of saying percentages of modulation. And, since "more is always better" to those who don't really understand what modulation is and why it's done, the more 'swing' the more better. I mean, if that needle 'swings' further then it's gotta be stronger, right? Right?
Yeah, I know, I know. But how do you convince someone that what they 'know' isn't the way it really is? Don't bother, it's a waste of time...
- 'Doc

Do you have a serious problem with the human race?

"Just what is ment by swing?"

the proper terminology is modulation index or modulation percentage. the term/s is/are used to describe the ratio between the maximum and minimum voltages present in a modulated signal referenced to the resting unmodulated carrier.

the method of power measurement must be taken into account here if the results are to provide an accurate representation of the resulting power relationships. the two most often used measurement methods are PEP and AVG.. an asymmetrically modulated signal representative of a modulation index of 1 (100%) exists when in the case of AVG. power the modulated power output is approximately 1.5 times the resting unmodulated carrier and in the case of PEP when modulated power output is 4 times the resting unmodulated carrier.

these facts are mathematically supported and are not open to interpretation.
i won't bore you with the algebraic equations unless requested or you can view them here.

http://www.firecommunications.com/hlsos.html

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.