• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Switch in roger beep board

Are roger beeps annoying

• Total voters
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to put an ON/OFF switch inline with a roger beep board. I recently bought one on Ebay to install in my radio.

6fcb_1.jpg

Then realized if I put the board in that would mean every time I release the mike button it would beep. no way to shut off. I would prefer to have that option available if I get tired of it beeping. would not mind drilling hole on side of casing. 8)

YOVEO.jpg

Simply put a switch in series with the power lead for the RB board.You could also put it in series with the audio BEEEEEEEEP! line and cut it off before the BEEEEEEEEEP! gets to the radio's modulator.

QRN pretty much covered it but I will put in my two cents.

You -may- not be able to simply disconnect power to the board depending on the board and what radio it is installed in. If this is the case you will have to follow QRN's second suggestion.

If this is the case, just put a switch in the audio out (BEEEEP) line like QRN said. But, make the switch a single pole double throw so that you can run the beep out to ground when it is "off". If you don't ground the line, you will still hear the beep faintly even if it is off.

Mopar

Let's see if this will work

Red power wire
SPST switch
-------------------------------------V---------------------

Black power wire
-------------------------------------------------------------

Just stick the SPST switch (the V) inline with the red power lead going to the roger beep. It's a break in the line going into one side of the switch and the lead continues connected to the other side of the switch.

As I previously mentioned, that will only work if the board doesn't need 12v to complete the receive circuit. If the radio is of the type that needs ground on one pin of the mic plug to have receive, then this may not work because some beep boards have a relay that is energized when you are -not- transmitting and it drops or closes to the non-energized position when transmit occurs. If the echo board is of that type, then it will be in the transmit position on the relay when no power is provided to the beep board and the radio will not receive.

Mopar

Thank U fellows for this great advices; But now I have some more questions.

I'm thinking of putting an Illuminated rocker switch Blue(SPDT)

100_0577.jpg

100_0578.jpg

& one of the instructions says "Do not solder to switch connectors." So I'm thinking I'm gonna have to use a (Disconnect F) connectors. Will this type of connection be enough to supply power to the board & switch :?: :?: :?:

The other dumb question I failed to ask before all this started is " HOW WILL I PLACE THIS IN THE RADIO". Any board holder I should use :?: :?: Some sorta home brew support bracket :?:

I wouldn't go that far but its your radio and you want a lighted
RB switch ..lol ya got to cut through the outer casing in the back
and press that rocker switch through as you see the side brackets on it lock it in..
also your board has a small relay to key the RB
so power patching into the ground or the pos is going to make it squeal...so thats a no go for sure on that..best way that has been said here with the audio..

I agree with QRN and mopar2ya, switch the audio out. I was reading the paper in the pic you provided....YELLOW - NOTHING, that's weird......why is it there? I personally would not (never) use a rocker switch like that.....especially on a 148. A SPST switch is all you need, or an existing switch on the radio that's never used or needed. Make sure you cover or insulate the board from metal to metal contact with heat shrink tubing or black electrical tape. On your last question, you don't really need a holder....just find a spot that dosen't interfere with the cover closing (mashing parts down,ect.) then secure in place with a small zip tie, hot melt glue or even black tape. Hope this helps....73s, Pluto.

Here's a thought. Now bear with me, I really have not messed with the insides of these radio; but thought it might be worth mentioning.

Is it possible to modify one of the existing switches in the front of my TRC-447.

tm_trc-447.jpg

I'd figured it's a switch I really don't use. If need be trade places with the beep.
Put that switches dual function in the rear with a switch drilled out & have that one used as the roger beep; just like Pluto suggests. any thoughts :?: :?: :?:

P.s. forgot to mention the 447 is a 6pin setup so two of the connections are for up/down channel changing.

Roger Beeps are Good Buddy beeps.
I think beeps, noise toys, and echos are annoying as all hell.

just to add to it I guess.

P.S.

psycho said:
Roger Beeps are Good Buddy beeps.
I think beeps, noise toys, and echos are annoying as all hell.

I'm sorry psycho but if you think that I'm not really sure you should be posting here. These post are for freedom of expression as is a CB radio; You are expressing yourself in any matter you wish to. whether it be by a roger beep; a noise toy; echo board; or just simply talking. Why can't one have fun differentiating oneself from the pack. Or are you saying we should all rewrite history :?: :?: :roll:

you can modify the switch on the radio. you just need to track down the leads and see where they go. its all just a matter of jumpering the old wires (i like to use circuit board from rad shack as its easy to change back quick if need be). you will still hear the beep (faintly) even with it off unless its grounded.

i also believe they are annoying as hell and they are also illegal if you want to nit-pick about it. might not matter to most but ive got to be more carefull as im supposed to know better and wont get a warning.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.