• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The new Kenwood TS-590SG

I almost bought the regular TS590. Still think it's a feature packed rig for the money. I see they are offering new upgrades via software update for them...

Mark, how are you liking yours?

Brett

Talked to a guy today that runs one, and he said it looked like the updates for him were mainly for split operation. Not sure if there's more features added or not?

Brett

Talked to a guy today that runs one, and he said it looked like the updates for him were mainly for split operation. Not sure if there's more features added or not?

Brett

I should have seen that. Knwd did the same thing with the TS-570. I bought the TS-570SG which added DSP CW filters and 6 meters. They had four versions, The S, D, DG and SG. Looks to the same deal with the 590; adding features and letters after the model number to designate what was added. The TS-590S is very similar looking to the TS-570S.

I should have seen that. Knwd did the same thing with the TS-570. I bought the TS-570SG which added DSP CW filters and 6 meters. They had four versions, The S, D, DG and SG. Looks to the same deal with the 590; adding features and letters after the model number to designate what was added. The TS-590S is very similar looking to the TS-570S.

Yes, I noticed the similar looks as well. Kenwood is really good about running a model for a long time and improving on it, instead of releasing a new model every six months to a year. I think you can trust their builds because of that.

Brett

Sounds interesting. Hopefully the low average output power has been addressed by Kenwood in this new version.

I believe they fixed that quite a while back.

Brett
The Yahoo groups aren't aware of it.
How and when was it fixed? I know the software updates never resolved it.
Were they modified when Kenwood undertook the overshoot hardware repairs?

The Yahoo groups aren't aware of it.
How and when was it fixed? I know the software updates never resolved it.
Were they modified when Kenwood undertook the overshoot hardware repairs?

I don't know about Yahoo groups, but I read it quite some time ago. IIRC, Kenwood even put out a notice for what point in serial numbers that the issue was corrected at the factory.

http://5tx.de/?p=1283
http://5tx.de/?p=1350

Brett

OK, Brett.
That relates to the ALC spike issue not the low average problem.

Hopefully the average power has been improved on the new version.

73s

Well, there's a hunch with some guys that the ALC overshoot was originally dealt with by Kenwood by using an overly aggressive ALC circuit. Maybe if you fix the overshoot, you fix the low average output power? Sure seems like a nice enough rig to me, and my amp is just as happy with 50 watts drive as it is with 75, so it would probably be fine for most guys that don't need 100 watts drive.

Brett

There is NO low average power output problem. People think there was, because of a misunderstanding on how the power output meter reads. Even though it is an LCD, it still reads average power, NOT PEP. If you hook one up to an oscilloscope, you will see this.

There is NO low average power output problem. People think there was, because of a misunderstanding on how the power output meter reads. Even though it is an LCD, it still reads average power, NOT PEP. If you hook one up to an oscilloscope, you will see this.

I have read that on some forums, too. I think there's even a YouTube vid showing that on a meter.

Brett

There is a problem with low average output power.
If you compare the 590 with other rigs you will see quite a difference in average power on any power meter.
The PEP is fine but the average SSB power certainly is not.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.