• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tram d 201 ???

chris.s

Dec 4, 2005
Just wondering if a D201 or 201a could be converted to the 10 am portion of the band,say 29-29.100 mhz. range,just a thought.

Thanks.
Chris.s

They probably could, but why would you want to?

Those old Trams are like Brownings...folks pay big $ for them as they are.

My 2 cents...better to take a run-of-the-mill CB to convert to 10 M.

Agree. The D201 - 201A is much more valuable in it's original form. There are many fine 10m radios out there, don't trash the Tram trying to get it on 10.

thanks for the replies,I'm asking for a freind that has a 23 chan and 4o chan. sitting in a closet for years in the boxes,I know he will never part with them but he does'nt do 11 meter at all,so it was just a thought,he was told that there is an external vfo made for taking them up to 29.150.I don't know,thanks.

73 Chris

thanks for the replies,I'm asking for a freind that has a 23 chan and 4o chan. sitting in a closet for years in the boxes,I know he will never part with them but he does'nt do 11 meter at all,so it was just a thought,he was told that there is an external vfo made for taking them up to 29.150.I don't know,thanks.

73 Chris

Tales like this frustrate me no end. It's one thing to have a radio in use or on display in the home, but to have not one, but two of the great ones just sitting around in the closet- in the boxes no less - never used or seen but still not for sale just grinds my gears.

He doesn't do 11 but won't sell them. Whatever is he saving them for?

IMD262,I agree with your statement,the radios are owned by an older gentlemen near me.He has came to my place and used my station to do some HF stuff,being 72 yrs old he does not like the newer rigs and menu stuff,he has worked some 10 meter am here and loved it,he is always talking about his Trams when he was on 11 meters,I think he would do some 10 meter am with one of his Trams,even if the band is not open there are a bunch of guys he can chat with local,I would like to see him venture beyond the 2 meter band.I'm no radio tech so I will keep checking around for info,I have a couple of sources to checkout,73 take care.

Chris.

This sounds like a great way to butcher up a classic. These radios fell flat on their asses by the time you took the VFO up to 27.555 Mhz. Deaf on RX and lost more than half of its TX power. They have limited bandwidth and would require a complete realignment of nearly every tuned circuit in the radio other than the IF stage. I also doubt every stage will have the required range to do this without modification.

You'll be peeling wraps off inductors and changing capacitor values for a while to get this right. Sell what you don't use to buy what you want to use. You'll be a lot happier with an old Johnson Ranger or DX-60 than you will be with a hacked up Tram on 10 meter AM. Plus there is the flexibility to use it on 75 meter AM in the future which is where you want to be working HF AM.

Last edited:
If the old guy wants a vintage 10 m radio, set him up with a Siltronix 1011. Way, way more capable than the Tram on 10m, higher power output and damn do they ever sound good on SSB!

They can also be had fairly inexpensively. In fact I'd be happy to discuss a trade with him- my 1011 and accessories for one of his Trams!

I think the operator is looking for a plate modulated AM rig. That make me think he's going to be fussy about the quality of the audio. The low level balanced modulator used in the Siltronix probably won't meet his expectations. If I recall right, it's really side band with the carrier injected. You can't get loud AM audio out of a Siltronix without it sounding like SSB because the side bands do not remain proportional to the carrier. That forces you to set the average modulation well below 100% so that the peaks don't get all distorted since the radio has no limiter or compressor.

Sell one of the trams on ebay then buy a Yaesu ft-101 that has been rebuilt by a ham radio tech......makes more sense than trying to turn a CB radio into a ham radio.....I do not even think that its legal to do that? a good way to lose your amateur license.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.