• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tram Titan II...Carrier With No Audio?

I am in south central MI.
Where are you located?
How did you get it to swing 15 watts?
Yeah...the titan I just bought has new caps n resisters.
He gave me a titan manual also.
I have a Titan II with the 6GM5....really mint....but needs re capped.

Well unfortunately we will never be able to talk to each other because I am located on the north side of detroit subrubs and I do not get out more than 10-12 miles locally but I get out great on DX. I only have one tram, my mint titan 2, I am not a guy with a house or garage full of radios like I had years ago. I might have to send you a watergate clip somehow to hear the great audio from this tram.

Did you notice any audio difference between the trams with the 6gk6 audio tube and the 6gm5 audio tube or you didnt get too deep into any of that? I am super curious what I am going to expect soon. I was told today my audio is so large and robust sounding and no one else has this type of full range sound on the air around here (the blackcat modulator is a big part due to all of this).

when I got my tram it would swing to around 10 watts or so, I retuned the back and I got it to 12 watts. Then when I did the cap and part upgrades and removed the ssb receive tubes I gained two or three more watts, I also upgraded the main rectifiers to 3A 1000v so I think that also helped, I never did voltage checks when I did that. I just checked radios power last night and it was swinging to 14-15 watts on a whistle, I cannot talk there, I talk around 8-12 watts which is alot higher than the 6-8 watts when I first got the radio. my final tubes are strong, my audio tube is sorta weak and my audio driver tube is sorta weak until my parts order comes in with the new tubes and upgrades. I also have 3 10watt resistors to put it in.

I am going to try a 6GM5 final output tube stage one of these days because theoretically I should gain some extra power over the 6gk6 output tube but it will need to be retune for sure and a bias resistance change. The reason I want 6GM5 tubes is because they put out full power in these circuits with the 300volts where if i went with a 6L6 I would need higher volts to get the same performance as the 6gm5 so it makes no sense.

Reactions: Eastside
I am looking for a Tram Corsair mobile that is the matching radio to the titan 2. That mobile tube radio has a collins filter in it. I want to use it in a mobile down the road. I cant go back to plastic radios, I hooked up some cobras and galaxys the other day and I cant stand the poor receive in comparison to my browning mark 2 or the tram titan 2.

Yeh...it would have to be some strange conditions for us to talk...I do talk into ohio and indiana from time to time at night.
I cannot tell any difference between the Titan and the Titan II.....the audio is very loud on both radios.....one reason is I have a really good non powered d104....it came with my nib d201 hand wired.

Well unfortunately we will never be able to talk to each other because I am located on the north side of detroit subrubs and I do not get out more than 10-12 miles locally but I get out great on DX. I only have one tram, my mint titan 2, I am not a guy with a house or garage full of radios like I had years ago. I might have to send you a watergate clip somehow to hear the great audio from this tram.

Did you notice any audio difference between the trams with the 6gk6 audio tube and the 6gm5 audio tube or you didnt get too deep into any of that? I am super curious what I am going to expect soon. I was told today my audio is so large and robust sounding and no one else has this type of full range sound on the air around here (the blackcat modulator is a big part due to all of this).

when I got my tram it would swing to around 10 watts or so, I retuned the back and I got it to 12 watts. Then when I did the cap and part upgrades and removed the ssb receive tubes I gained two or three more watts, I also upgraded the main rectifiers to 3A 1000v so I think that also helped, I never did voltage checks when I did that. I just checked radios power last night and it was swinging to 14-15 watts on a whistle, I cannot talk there, I talk around 8-12 watts which is alot higher than the 6-8 watts when I first got the radio. my final tubes are strong, my audio tube is sorta weak and my audio driver tube is sorta weak until my parts order comes in with the new tubes and upgrades. I also have 3 10watt resistors to put it in.

I am going to try a 6GM5 final output tube stage one of these days because theoretically I should gain some extra power over the 6gk6 output tube but it will need to be retune for sure and a bias resistance change. The reason I want 6GM5 tubes is because they put out full power in these circuits with the 300volts where if i went with a 6L6 I would need higher volts to get the same performance as the 6gm5 so it makes no sense.
Post the audio clip here so all can hear

Nice looking Titan eastside!

my water/videogates are all in MP4 videos, so I would need to redo the gates into mp3 files so I can upload them, I will try to do that this weekend so you guys can hear this good sounding radio. I prefer the tram titan 2 for everyday daily driver radio, and the browning mark 2 for every other couple of days as I cherish that radio alittle more because it took me 20 years to find the one I wanted in this condition, even though my titan 2 is in more of a mint shape. The browning mark 2 receiver 69R is the best production cb receiver ever made, double conversion, dual nuvistors, collins mechanical filter. its a dream to listen too. There is no other radio(s) that were made like this, neither the golden eagle mark 3 or 4 or Tram D201/A, they went back to IF transformer cans which don't give you as sharp of cutoff and thus also affects weak signal performance and noise characteristics.

Ok here is a audio clip of my tram titan 2, like all things, it sounds better in person or over the air......

Attachments

• crazydtramtitan2.mp3
    7.7 MB · Views: 33

Eastside, here is another audio clip you need to listen to, I turned down the watergate receiver alittle and now it sounds better this time.... though these smaller speakers and mics don't do justice to how it actually sounds like in person.

My parts and tube order just came in so I am disconnecting the tram and working on it tonight, hope to post the 6GM5 audio tube sound differences (if any) later. I will post browning mark 2 audio clips shortly.... another great sounding radio.

Attachments

• crazydtramtitan2_2.mp3
    2 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Here is a audio clip of my Browning Golden Eagle Mark 2, this is my prized radio as it took 20 years exactly to find one in such great condition. I like the sound of both, but the tram has a wider, more robust and smoother sound to it. If I put a D104 on browning it would make it sound better but I am happy with the banana mic.

Tip: to keep your banana mic from wearing out on the brown paint, put clear shipping tape over all parts that get touched and then it will preserve any wear. I put it right below the keyup switch so my hands don't wear out the paint over time.

Attachments

• crazydbrowningeagleMK2.mp3
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
6GM5 swap done! Took about 35 minutes. It appears I have a more expansive sound with more energy and robustness but I am still to get some on air reports.

Left: Stock 6GK6 audio tube
Right: 6GM5 audio tube (twice as large)

2015-11-27_19-07-00_305.jpg

Look, twice as big.
2015-11-27_19-14-22_899.jpg

Looks much nicer instead of thinner tube.
2015-11-27_22-44-04_442.jpg

Tram Titan 2 with 6GM5 audio tube upgrade
2015-11-27_22-42-27_327.jpg

The audio from this 6GM5 swap can be heard below.

Attachments

• crazydtitan2_6GM5.mp3
    2.7 MB · Views: 34
Eastside, Listen to this watergate of my tram and please comment, I got the watergate recording speaker just right so it doesn't rattle on recording and mess things up, this one is the best one I have done. Thanks

Attachments

• Crazy_D_TramTitan2_6GM5_swap.mp3
    2.8 MB · Views: 13

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.