• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 SSB

I think it will take someone leaking the info from the factory in China. I know someone on this forum has a contact at that factory so maybe they can make some inquiries.

Because of the way these radios work the software isn't really set up for export channels - in other words unless the software has the ability pre-programmed there would be no way to control it. There is no "band" button per se like on the new stryker. The frequency readout isn't an active frequency counter so any non-software modification to the radio isn't going to register on the display.

My guess is without a software modification the radios will not be modifiable unless someone smart at the factory pre-programmed the ability into the radio to recognize when a modification to the board takes place. In that case you could remove one resistor and the radio operates for the UK etc. I'm not versed in the software programming in radios though but I'd guess there isn't a UK version of the software and a US version of the software (or a export version) loaded on every radio from the factory in that manner. I'm guessing they flash each radio with just the US or UK/Europe software version and not both.

My hope is that someone pre-programmed the export unlock into the radio much like the old Midland 79-290 and there is a trick to unlocking it or even just by removing one resistor it unlocks it. But again, if that wasn't pre-programmed into the software we may be out of luck.

Reactions: 1 person
Unlocking the 980?

And that is a BIG question mark! {Cry_river}

Several new transceivers out of China are most definitely software defined through the CPU. Rigs like the Baofeng, Anytone and the clone HAM rigs of many kinds.
I would not have any doubt that the 980 is of the same school of thought but there is a good chance the rig is one time burned into ROM, locked to the CB band, transceiver.
Back when the FCC dictated ROM style PLLs, a way was thought out to "inject" a signal to get it "to move"! With today's CPUs it is a simple matter to have a one time burn on the CPU with no way to inject or add a signal to move the frequency span.
My Anytone HT has four modes built into the CPU as to what band operation the user wants, could be full transceive, European band plan, the HAM only band or just business band.
With this in mind it is possible with a few keys held down and a power up, one could be in a program mode for the CPU select of bands of a choice! Not saying the plan is well known! :whistle:
It is possible a simple cut of a resistor or diode could be the "trick" but I doubt this with today CPU programing. Then again the display does have a frequency counter! :love:

73 mechanic

I think that the fact that all of these radios are built to be entirely disposable upon failure (due to the fact that there will be fewer places and a higher cost to repair them - not to mention that they are un-modifiable), that it makes all of the lead-in type board radios far more desirable to own and to keep repaired and viable.

We may see these older radios suddenly worth more than they were when new . . . more true as time moves forward.

Old time value!

I think that the fact that all of these radios are built to be entirely disposable upon failure (due to the fact that there will be fewer places and a higher cost to repair them - not to mention that they are un-modifiable), that it makes all of the lead-in type board radios far more desirable to own and to keep repaired and viable.

We may see these older radios suddenly worth more than they were when new . . . more true as time moves forward.

I service several models of the SONY short wave receivers and the price for a new old stock in the box radio is crazy! two years ago a SONY ICF-2010, new (old stock) in the box.... went on Ebay for 2010 dollars! New they were $389 or thereabouts.....
So I agree the old transceivers will be worth their weight!

73 mechanic

Finally got to hear the good ol NEW 980SSB on the air today. 440 outta Connecticut was talkin on 39LSB on it & it sounded pretty Damn impressive! Not sure if he was runnin an amp with it or not,but it sounded really good for a CB. I had him spot on freq with my TS440SAT Kenwood & my 746 non-Pro Icom & my trusty ol Omega Force AND the ol Grant XL!!!! Shocked the Hell outta me for just a plain ol SSB CB mobile rig :cool: I just may have to get one afterall & yet I promised the wife I was done with CB's since I got my Ham ticket several years back 8-p Ha Ha

How well do the old uniden's like the Grant hold freq on ssb compared to the 980?

Just as solid.

Russ/WR-2005, a local operator that I know and talk to ran one of those new Uniden Bearcat 980's in his mobile today. We ran it through some simple on-air tests using a D-104 Minuteman II, a TS-400, and a Predator 10k antenna. It didn't drift on SSB as far as I could hear. Audio was just fine. He tried it on AM and it was OK; not bad at all. He then used the stock mic. Sounded fine on AM and SSB. The stock mic is a noise-cancelling mic too.

Russ said that every time you change anything on the radio - a beep will go off. He thought that was pretty annoying and has not found out how to shut it off.

Other than that, I thought it sounded OK from my base station.
Not bad at all.

Last edited:
Finally got to hear the good ol NEW 980SSB on the air today. 440 outta Connecticut was talkin on 39LSB on it & it sounded pretty Damn impressive! Not sure if he was runnin an amp with it or not,but it sounded really good for a CB. I had him spot on freq with my TS440SAT Kenwood & my 746 non-Pro Icom & my trusty ol Omega Force AND the ol Grant XL!!!! Shocked the Hell outta me for just a plain ol SSB CB mobile rig :cool: I just may have to get one afterall & yet I promised the wife I was done with CB's since I got my Ham ticket several years back 8-p Ha Ha

Good luck on getting the CB out of your blood Slim! **Jump_im**

73 mechanic

BumpStart I have both of them right here and I will say the new Uniden SSB 980 does not seem to drift at all from cold to hot. The Cobra 148GTL that I have is a late 80's model and is off just a tick when first turned on but gets dead on center slot in a minute or two

My guess is without a software modification the radios will not be modifiable unless someone smart at the factory pre-programmed the ability into the radio to recognize when a modification to the board takes place.

I think you are going to just have to give it some time.
One thing to think about is that they do not program different frequency schemes `s into the radio`s just to accommodate free-banders, this is a common misconception ( often propagated by some amateurs that want to make manufacturer look bad) there is a economic reason for doing this.
The U.S. market is not the only place they will sell these radios, when they go over-seas they will be sold to users that have different requirements as far as frequency coverage.
It is to there advantage to have these features already programmed into the radio so they do not have to mfg different models for each country that the radios will be sold in.
Here in the U.S. we get short sighted, but there is a much bigger market world wide for these radios.

Jeff

AUDIOSHOCKWAV that's what I was thinking, why make a different cpu for europe or New Zeland just make it so you have to work to modify it. I understand why Magnum made the last batch of radios with the pins cut off to keep the FCC off of their back, Uniden being a leader in radio stuff for a long time I'm sure has it in there somewhere to make it a seller in other markets now I am just waiting to see if they let the cat out of the bag or someone stumbles across it and gives us the heads up. I really do like the radio, just need it to get to half channels and 27.415

Attachments

• huracan 4-18-2012.jpg
    huracan 4-18-2012.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 20
Yeah that's what I'm hoping, that the software is designed with all the bands installed but they can easily do a run of radios and install software that is for only one band. In that case the only way to open it up would be to load different software onto the radio.

Just have to wait and see. Again I think the mod info will have to come from the factory and be leaked by someone in the know.

Don't forget Europe has FM (correct me if I am wrong) and these radios are set up for AM/SSB only. That would be quite a bit of work to convert and more than software alone. Only Australia and North America could use these radios as they are ATM. Europe would be the next biggest market after that.

Cheers
John

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.