• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 SSB

I don't have a wiring diagram or a 980 in front of me right but I would assume one of the pins is hot and if you try to wire up the mike up to that pin you could cause problems.

Your Road devil most likely will only use 4 of it's wires in the same manner as the stock microphone.

I have a Uniden 980 SSB radio and I am in the process of wiring an Astatic road devil mic to work with the radio. When I took the female 6 pin connector apart on the factory uniden mic, I was surprised to see that only four of the 6 connections were used. I then took apart the radio and verified that all 6 connectors were soldered onto the front circuit board, and they were. What is Uniden gaining by having a 6 pin connection, if they are only using four of the six!!?? Maybe hoping to sell only their mics to fit the radio? Anyway, the Astatic mic I am going to use has 6 wires in the mic cord and I am trying to figure out how to wire the mic. If anyone has run into this issue any help would be appreciated! I have not been able to find any schematics on the radio yet. I am wondering if there would be a gain in audio quality if I wired the astatic mic using all six wires utilizing all six terminals on the radios mic jack. I am not new to CB radio, but have not messed with a radios internals very much, and there could be a simple explanation for this. Are the two extra terminals on the radio for another function such as channel selection or for the planned wireless mic? Please help!

Must be for future options... this transceiver may be designed from a common layout and could be related to the Anytone designs. May be for up and down channels operation? (y)

mechanic

Uniden 980 6 pin mic wiring

I don't have a wiring diagram or a 980 in front of me right but I would assume one of the pins is hot and if you try to wire up the mike up to that pin you could cause problems.

Your Road devil most likely will only use 4 of it's wires in the same manner as the stock microphone.

I was able to get the Road Devil mic wired to my 980, I appreciate all the replys.
This website also helped: [URL="http://www.cbcintl.com/docs/mikewire.htm"/URL]

This webpage told me what wires went where for the road devil. Then by taking apart the connectors on the stock mic and included 6 to 4 pin adapter, I got the road devil wired correctly.

Regarding the pins on the 980 this is what I came up with:
Pin 1 - Modulation
Pin 2 - Rx
Pin 3 - Tx
Pin 4 - not sure? No ground, no voltage found radio on or off
Pin 5 - Common
Pin 6 - 7.88 volts + with radio on, 8.00 volts during Tx

Thinking about making the #6 pin a power source for my road devil mic in the future, I know the voltage is a little low, but the aps were close to the 9 v batteries output.

Reactions: 2 people
newbie here -

im on the fence about buying the 980....but i HATE that beep...ive read the thread here & learned that the beep is thru the speaker, but i have a question...

does the beep ALSO occur or pass thru if your using an EXTERNAL speaker ??

my guess is that it probably does but im looking for confirmation and a way around this annoying "feature".

Id want an ssb unit....so luckily for uniden, im unable (for the moment) to consider the new cobra units.

The beep works with the internal and external speaker. I wish I could shut it off as well. But overall, I have two 980s both as mobiles and like them both, they are very stable on freq.

The beep works with the internal and external speaker. I wish I could shut it off as well. But overall, I have two 980s both as mobiles and like them both, they are very stable on freq.

Can the radio programming be manipulated into rx 12m or up to 40mhz ?

★ Sent from my Droid★

newbie here -

im on the fence about buying the 980....but i HATE that beep...ive read the thread here & learned that the beep is thru the speaker, but i have a question...

does the beep ALSO occur or pass thru if your using an EXTERNAL speaker ??

my guess is that it probably does but im looking for confirmation and a way around this annoying "feature".

Id want an ssb unit....so luckily for uniden, im unable (for the moment) to consider the new cobra units.

Yes, the beep passes to the external speaker.

I haven't found anything saying that any reprogramming/modifying of extra channels is possible yet. Or anything else for that matter. Just a radio that's solid on the 11m band.

My problem with the 980 is the beep and not modifiable yet. It stays dead on frequency but would be nice if the clairfier would slide and maybe get channels from say 41 to 60. That beep drove me nuts so mine went down the road. Yea it worked great on 11 meters with a little bit of help, the single final 12 to 15 watts was also not a selling point for me. Now that I sold mine next week a mod will probably come out for channels and clairfier unlock.

Attachments

• uniden 980 6-18-2012.jpg
    uniden 980 6-18-2012.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 16

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.