1. In celebration of the launch of the new redesigned site, we just gave away a FREE antenna! Click Here to See Who Won!

Uniden PC68LTW

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by hollywoood, Aug 27, 2012.

1. hollywoood

hollywoood Member

Transmits, receives on weather but not on cb,.. any ideas???

2. Robb

Robb Yup

It better NOT transmit on the weather channels; that would make it illegal!

If it isn't transmitting on CB; the final transistor may have failed and will need replacement. This is usually caused if/when the antenna's SWR was not adjusted properly when installed. Newbee radio operators usually have this problem quite often. First radio?

3. Greatvalue1

Greatvalue1 Active Member

I think they were saying that the radio "Transmits on CB, and that it also receives the WX just fine, but that it is not receiving when it is in the AM CB mode".

If this is the case, then that sounds like a pretty funky problem. If the radio is new I would just return it.

4. hollywoood

hollywoood Member

Robb,.. Greatvalve1 is correct, it transmits in cb mode but does not receive in cb mode, but receives weather in weather mode,...

It's not my radio it's a friends, I have some knowledge of cbs, although not to the degree most of you, (mostly learned by reading and some good people on here who have helped me),..

I did not realize the final could cause the receive issue since i had key up and tx, on the other hand the owner is a 'cover driver' and uses different trucks, he may have had one with a high swr and taken the final out,.. i'll look into that.

Thank you for your replies....

5. Greatvalue1

Hollywood, How did you or your friend test the transmit?

This might help narrow down the problem.

6. hollywoood

hollywoood Member

Greatvalue1, was told,.. my friend was running with another driver, talking away then nothing,.. called the other driver's cell phone and was informed he was answering him but my friend could not hear it. I hooked it up to a SWR/power meter saw it had dead key and swing never actually did a audio check myself. Hope that makes sense,...
    Thank you!!

7. RatsoW8

RatsoW8 Supporting Member

This is a funky issue. Unless he just has a switch in the wrong position it willprobably require someone to track down a bad component in the receive section. The radio probably has a seperate receive board/audio amp for the WX band which may be why it receives and CB doesn't. I bet it's a bad transistor somewhere in the audio chain.

8. Greatvalue1

This issue needs a professional to find the problem.

If I had to guess though, I would say first look internally at the WX/CB switch to see if there are any unsoldered connections.

If the connections on the switch look fine then I would agree with RatsoW8.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  9. Robb

Robb Yup

IF the weather receive audio is present; then there is nothing wrong with the audio circuit. They share the same audio chip/circuit IIRC. Something wrong with the CB receive circuit.

10. hollywoood

hollywoood Member

Thank you for everyone's responses,.. It's basically getting past my present scope of knowledge, that's what I needed to know to let my friend decide if he wants to spend the money repairing it or buy a new one!