• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Pro522xl ssb

I knew that. But now that I've seen the new 980 I'm kind of disappointed. Maybe expected a little more, or even less from a new side band unit.

I wrote the engineers at Uniden a couple of years ago if they were planning on making a new ssb. I told them that perhaps just a simple mobile unit as reliable as the pro-xl series models would be a great idea. Especially with the new surface mounted tech might make it possible.

They responded saying that they had no plans for any side band units in the future.

It just seems to me that the 980 is a bearcat with ssb as an afterthought.

Just a thought.

I don't know, Greatvalue1.... there seem to be some pretty happy owners of the new 980's on this forum. And SSB seems to be stable, loud, and clear from what I have read in the posts here. Have you tried one? I might just pull the trigger on one if I can add channels and kill the beep!

RT307

It seems as stable as any of the XL's I've had. 980 is a nice radio. I'm personally not concerned with extra channels, it'll be a neat rig if someone figures that one though. I emailed them about anyway to disable or quiet that beep. I did get a reply from them. They said no.

I really didn't mean to say the 980 wasn't a good radio.

My purposes for a mobile unit are that it is small, easy to use, and does what it is supposed to do. The pro 510,520 radios do this for me very nicely on am.

I can just throw one in the glove box and take it out whenever I need it, and not have to worry if someone breaks into my car and steels it. $40.00 out

My point is that I wished that they might have gone in a more practical direction, because if I wanted something fancy, then why not just get an export?

It has occurred to me after reading some of the replies that the pro-xl series radios I'm talking about is the pro510,520xl. Not the 122 or any other.

I'm saying that I would have preferred ssb in one of these units if it was possible. Rather than the 980.

It has occurred to me after reading some of the replies that the pro-xl series radios I'm talking about is the pro510,520xl. Not the 122 or any other.

I'm saying that I would have preferred ssb in one of these units if it was possible. Rather than the 980.

Ah, gotcha. I've had a 520XL for years, and it's been a great little rig, and I get where you are coming from. That's not the direction they are going though.... it's all going to be SMT for everyone soon enough.

RT307

The PC 122 is probably as small as you're going to get for a small package CB with SSB.

If you wanted something that looked more like the Pro 510, then you'd be looking into the 640e. But they're not compact.

Of course I haven't read much into the new 980's yet but it seems in addition to SSB, you also get a freq counter, weather bands, talkback, memory/memory scan and scan, digital SWR calibration...all wrapped up into one radio. A big advancement from the chrome knobed/silver brushed faced radios of the past.

Only thing I don't care for is I wished they had a big analog swing meter, like the Galaxys do. That and how they emit a beep when you go to turn the channel or push a button.

I am definitely not opposed to SMT by any means. In fact I encourage it. It will take SMT to fit all that stuff into smaller packages, and that's a good thing.

There is just something comfortable about simplicity-in-design that appeals to me.

The 122XL is an XLnt radio - IMO. Bought one at the local flea market for $30, aligned it, and put it on a shelf. The audio on RX and TX are both xlnt too. Same radio internally as a Cobra 146GTL or a Uniden 640e.

Local guy has a 980. Sounds nice on my end and is on freq. His only complaint is the annoying 'beep'. But that is small potatoes really; not enough to make french fries with.

Last edited:
The 122Xl is an XLnt radio - IMO. Bought one at the local flea market for $30, aligned it, and put it on a shelf. The audio on RX and TX are both xlnt too. Same radio internally as a Cobra 146GTL or a Uniden 640e.

Local guy has a 980. Sounds nice on my end and is on freq. His only complaint is the annoying 'beep'. But that is small potatoes really; not enough to make french fries with.

I had the Radio Shack version of the same rig, but the Uniden is much "prettier". 30 bucks is a steal for that radio, Robb.

RT307

But seriously, I have nothing against the 980. What I'm disappointed in is the philosophy of the direction that Uniden has taken.

In perspective: if you're in the market for a completely legal, un-hackable, CB SSB radio for just under $200, then that's your ticket.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.