• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Pro522xl ssb

It has occurred to me after reading some of the replies that the pro-xl series radios I'm talking about is the pro510,520xl. Not the 122 or any other.

I'm saying that I would have preferred ssb in one of these units if it was possible. Rather than the 980.

The 510/520 board and chasis won't support SSB. I would say the 122xl or Rat Shack variant would be as small and simple as it gets. Very well built radio's back in the day for SSB use. A Galaxy 979 might work well for you.

But seriously, I have nothing against the 980. What I'm disappointed in is the philosophy of the direction that Uniden has taken.

In perspective: if you're in the market for a completely legal, un-hackable, CB SSB radio for just under $200, then that's your ticket.

That could be a good thing too....maybe no one will buy them since they can't be modded....then perhaps they'll drop the price significantly just to rid of them.

That could be a bad thing because companies like uniden then wont make a ssb radio again.They wont see their failure as making a not easy to mod radio.But blame ssb radios as a weak market.

That could be a bad thing because companies like uniden then wont make a ssb radio again.They wont see their failure as making a not easy to mod radio.But blame ssb radios as a weak market.

If it was easily modifiable, it would not of been able to pass FCC certification.

Well said. That was precisely one of my fears, and also probably why Uniden has not put out a ssb unit in so long.

Making a unit that feigns to compete with the import market is the wrong direction IMO. But a basic, stable, ssb unit that doesn't try to be anything else, for a reasonable price makes more sense to me.

I think uniden might have been the targets of the fcc.Maybe they were bullied.Look at the president hr series they got slammed for that and maybe they got slammed on the other ssb radios.Its funny galaxy and cobra drop radios that can easily be tuned to do 30 watts pep and xtra channels added.Why is uniden making it so hard?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.