1. In celebration of the launch of the new redesigned site, we just gave away a FREE antenna! Click Here to See Who Won!

Using YSK-857 Head Separation Kit with FT-897D

Discussion in 'Ham Equipment' started by MSFRider, Mar 16, 2012.

1. MSFRider

MSFRider Member

Hello All,

I'm a soon to be Tech (taking the VEC test on the 31st) and I've purchased a Yaesu FT-897D with the primary interest of using 10 meter phone ad exploring 2 meters. Much of the use will be mobile. To that end I purchased the separation kit YSK-857 listed by Yaesu as the accessory to separate the face of the radio for mounting on the dash and the radio elsewhere. I've read the docs and submitted a request for info to Yaesu but thought I might seek advice from some folks that may have experience in the matter. I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Bill
    Prescott Valley AZ

2. wile2u

wile2u W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

ummm. i don't think the head on the ft-897d detaches. so if you bought the kit for the ft-857d it won't work.

3. MSFRider

MSFRider Member

That is what I'm finding since I received my purchases. I relied on the Yaesu description of accessories and apparently should not have done so. :oops:

The radio is just what I wanted, except for being able to remotely mount it in my vehicle. I likely will keep it for use as a base station and get another radio for my vehicle, one that does have the remote mounting option. Such are the trials of the un-initiated.

Thanks for the input Rich!

4. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur Staff Member

There is obviously a misunderstanding either in what you read or between you and Yaesu. I have never seen the YSK-857 listed as an accessory for the FT-897 and if you asked Yaesu about then they probably assumed you made a typo and meant the FT-857 which is what the YSK-857 was meant for. There is no removable faceplate on the FT-897.

I stand corrected. It is right here on the Yaesu page.

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cm...D=0372FA803B7BBADBF3076C94ACA7A8C5&DivisionID

The problem is that the FT-857 and the FT-897 are identical radios in different boxes. I mean they are EXACTLY the same radio and as such the accessories are the same. The difference is that the FT-857 is meant as a mobile unit and the FT-897 is meant as a base with builtin power supply or as a portable unit with internal battery pack.

5. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Supporting Member

At least it sounds like you'll soon have 2 radios. no harm there.

6. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur Staff Member

Two radios? Where? The OP bought the FT-897 and a separation kit for an FT-857.

BTW a note to the OP: You will not find that the FT-897 is very suited for use mobile. It does not come with a mounting bracket, in fact there is no mobile bracket for it IIRC, and it is a bit large for mobile anyway. The FT-857 is what you should have bought IMHO based on what you have stated you intend to use it for.

7. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Supporting Member

He's keeping the 897 for a base and buying another radio for his mobile.

Thus, 2 radios for the WIN.

8. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin Staff Member

The MMB80 Mounting Bracket, It is very nice I have one for My 897.
    I have used mine mobile lots of times in my Pick-up.
    Hey Captain, even the FT 101 had a mounting Bracket

Jeff

9. MSFRider

MSFRider Member

Such is the life of living in an area that the closest HAM store is over a 100 miles away. Have to depend on catalogs and such for info until you can find another source.

Yep, Made a mistake but thee is a silver lining there. As M42Duster stated, keeping the 897 to use on the bench and something different for the vehicle. The wife is even good with that!

I received a reply from Yaesu with the info that the face would not come off to be mounted elsewhere. Now I'll be looking for another radio that fits the bill. I guess I'll just have to brave the traffic and people in Phoenix to visit the Ham Radio Outlet there.

Thanks for the input fellas!

Bill

: ysk857, ft-897d