• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WELL MY FOOTS NOW IN THE DOOR

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
I took my Amatuer test for Tech today at a Hamfest in Jefferson Wisconsin and got 100% and got my ticket well kind of its gonna be a few days to get logged into the database but hey the worst parts done. I am going to do General in a few weeks they tried getting me to take it today because it was free since I payed already and passed the Tech but time was going by fast and I rode with other opertors so Ill do that General later. Ill start studying for that this week it took me a while because of slacking but hey I got a perfect score so I cant complain.

I took my Amatuer test for Tech today at a Hamfest in Jefferson Wisconsin and got 100% and got my ticket well kind of its gonna be a few days to get logged into the database but hey the worst parts done. I am going to do General in a few weeks they tried getting me to take it today because it was free since I payed already and passed the Tech but time was going by fast and I rode with other opertors so Ill do that General later. Ill start studying for that this week it took me a while because of slacking but hey I got a perfect score so I cant complain.

Congrats!

Let us know when your call is in the data base. Update us on when you become "AG". You really should have went ahead and did the General and got it out of the way, but good luck when you do decide to take it.

73's

Wayne C.

Yeah I know darnit and them VEC'S were just harassing me and giving me hell about it they said you were the only one with 100% percent today and you should just take that General because alot of the questions are also common sense and some are the same so its worth the shot its free and man they were riding me and laughing but as I said I rode with a few other operators and one other guy that tested for tech with me that was with our group and he was the only person to fail a test today and he was out of hand he kind of was a tad ticked off I think so that was that. Ill get studying but first I need to get a 2 meter radio and an antenna before I can operate that band anyways. I have 2 yaesu ft-840 a kenwood ts-50 with the matching at-50 tuner a yaesu ft-990 and I just a few days ago bought one of those yaesu ft-450 and that thing is really cool Im set for the HF but now need the other things this is gonna open a whole nother can of worms with this radio hobby of mine LOL. I will let you all know when I see the call sign in the data Im guessing its gonna be a goofy one maybe an N9???

Give 2M a try, might be able to get you on the CFMC repeater or the one in Milwaukee.

Advice, if you get an FM set, go dual band, good deals can be found, and you also have UHF and alot of RX area.

I will check into that 74 and does anyone know how long it takes for the database to show it?? I always remember it was like 3 days but was told now it takes 10?? So what gives??

Probably only a few days, the longer delay was when code was dropped, lots tested for general.

thats what i was thinking aswell that there was a mad rush for advancment which caused a huge lag in the post times

Congrats Tony
I hope to have QSO soon .........10 meters should start picking up soon,if not there 6 meter summer sporadic E's are REALLY fun.Catch you on the bands.

Im actually surprised that 10 meters isnt opened up yet I have a feeling its going to soon and when it does its gonna be crazy again. Now its been quiet dead quiet

Im actually surprised that 10 meters isnt opened up yet I have a feeling its going to soon and when it does its gonna be crazy again. Now its been quiet dead quiet

Thats the best part, when 10 is dead, bands below it may be open :D

Give a listen to the locals,,,,

7.258 lsb during the day until around 2-3 pm
3.875 lsb during the night until midnight, Bob Heil hangs around this one alot (K9EID)

or listen to the maritime net

14.300 usb

Congratulations

TonyV225,
Aw right! ('RedNeck' for congratulations.)
'74's suggestion is a good one. If you want to cover all bands, get a dual-bander. May not use all the bands but you'll have the capability anyway.
The VEs badgering the test takers to take the next test is a very common thing, especially if the last test score was a good one. It's not uncommon to pass the next level if you make a good score on a lower one. And when you leave with a higher class license than anticipated, what's wrong with that? (If 'whats-his-name' gets 'bent' cuz you passes and he didn't... well, did you stop him from studying harder? Sorry 'bout that!)
It takes a few days for that license/call sign to show up, no way around that unfortunately. The mainest thing with that is when/how the VEC sends in the test results. Figure at least 4, maybe 5 days for the mail, then another day or so for it being entered into the system. A week is sort of a nice round average, sort of. (Better than it used to be at one point, at one time 2 1/2 months was the average [not a joke].)
Have fun!
- 'Doc

I studied to get General right off and was confident I'd do it.. I didn't even look at Extra and only missed it by one question. I need to get back in there and upgrade.

Congrats on your passing, it's a lot of fun. It took 14 days or so to get posted last April, but it should be faster now as mentioned.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.