• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What 10 meter Radio ?

They look nice.

We had a 706 running our PSK31/RTTY station on field day.

Finals toasted after 10 minutes of operation.

I have yet to be convinced that Icom makes quality stuff.

:thumbdown:

What was the power output set at? Running full power on PSK or RTTY will cook the finals in almost any radio due to the high duty cycle. You also have to watch out for dirty power if operating from a generator. A lot of generators generate voltage spikes that can wipe out certain electronics. I prefer to run a UPS on my gear when operating it from a generator.

BTW I can't speak for today's Icoms but the older ones would stand up to any Kenwood or Yaesu.I feel I can say objectivly as I have owned or presently do own Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu gear. I have no brand loyalities. My IC-735 most certainly was quality stuff.

They look nice.

never had any problems running either the 706 or ts50 on ssb at full power,as its only 50% duty cycle,but most radios will struggle on full power on 100% duty cycle modes as capatain kw points out.

i've seen no shortage of 706's burnt out here with people running fm on ukcb at 100w. its all about how you use/abuse your radio. i'd consider anything above 30w as abusing a 100w radio on 100% duty cycle modes, many will disagree though. even on ssb i tend to sit at around 70w, but when working exotic stuff i know from experience it will do 100w ssb for a substantial time with no major issues.

2950 & 2970 LEGAL?

No, that is not correct,
If you have your ham ticket, it is perfectly legal to use a 2950/2970 on 10/12 meters within the limits of your lic....this was already beat to death, and Sonwatcher sent a E Mail to the FCC and they confirmed that it is legal for licensed amateur to use these radios on the appropriate bands.
If you search the forum, you can find the FCC case number and what he was told by the FCC.
(on Edit, I went back and looked for the thread)
Posted By SonWatcher:

Jeff

SORRY JEFF but you my friend are WRONG.Just because you have a ham ticket does NOT make the radios you mentioned LEGAL.FEDERAL LAW says they are for EXPORT ONLY & ILLEGAL to SALE or USE in the USA on ANY BAND.You should understand the LAW before urging someone else to VIOLATE the LAW.If you have any further doubt you should do just as I did & write an email the FCC or even call them on the phone & then you won't have to take MY WORD for it.You can go to QTH.com as well & read the PUBLISHED LIST of ILLEGAL radios & the RANGERS you say are LEGAL are listed as ILLEGAL & there is NO MENTION that the LAW is DIFFERENT if you just happen to be a HAM.ILLEGAL for USE & SALE would kind of make it IMPOSSIBLE to be LEGAL for ANYONE just like the list of ILLEGAL amplifiers they are NOT LEGAL if your a ham either.Do some research & learn the FACTS not the but HE SAID SHE SAID stuff! Telling the FCC officer that you did NOT know will still get you a NICE TICKET($$$$$)& it MAY cost you your ham ticket at the same time.IGNORANCE of the LAW is NO EXCUSE FOR THE LAW! By the way I spoke with LAURA & she handles the LEGAL issues with the FCC. :headbang

SIX-SHOOTER

SORRY JEFF but you my friend are WRONG.Just because you have a ham ticket does NOT make the radios you mentioned LEGAL.FEDERAL LAW says they are for EXPORT ONLY & ILLEGAL to SALE or USE in the USA on ANY BAND.You should understand the LAW before urging someone else to VIOLATE the LAW.If you have any further doubt you should do just as I did & write an email the FCC or even call them on the phone & then you won't have to take MY WORD for it.You can go to QTH.com as well & read the PUBLISHED LIST of ILLEGAL radios & the RANGERS you say are LEGAL are listed as ILLEGAL & there is NO MENTION that the LAW is DIFFERENT if you just happen to be a HAM.ILLEGAL for USE & SALE would kind of make it IMPOSSIBLE to be LEGAL for ANYONE just like the list of ILLEGAL amplifiers they are NOT LEGAL if your a ham either.Do some research & learn the FACTS not the but HE SAID SHE SAID stuff! Telling the FCC officer that you did NOT know will still get you a NICE TICKET($$$$$)& it MAY cost you your ham ticket at the same time.IGNORANCE of the LAW is NO EXCUSE FOR THE LAW! By the way I spoke with LAURA & she handles the LEGAL issues with the FCC. :headbang

SIX-SHOOTER

O Jeebus here we go again. Jeff is correct on this matter and it is YOU that is wrong. Jeff even provided a piece of correspondence from the FCC regarding this matter. It is 100% LEGAL for a licensed ham to operate one of these so-called "banned" export radios on 10m or 12m but NOT 11m. The same thing applies to all these amplifiers as long as the spectral purity meets regulations. Hell we can BUILD a 10m meter radio and amplifier and it is legal as long as it meets spectral purity regulations. Perhaps Shioda, who happens to be a real lawyer and handles Ranger's cases with the FCC and with Ebay, can step in here and provide some insight. There is a great deal of gray areas regarding this "banned" list and if you think about it for a minute, if these radios were really and truly banned by the FCC why can you buy one almost anywhere? Seems like the FCC could have fun shooting fish in a barrel if they wanted to start rounding up all of them. I have no doubt that marketing them as an 11m radio is illegal but not for marketing them as a 10/12m radio.

I have to agree with C.K. on this. Legal/illegal depends entirely on use and by who it's being used by.
One reason why there is an amateur radio license is to insure that the licensee knows what the standards for use are, quality, etc. A ham can build anything or modify anything for use on the ham bands as long as those standards are met. Thats one of the privileges of having that license.
The legal sales of any particular radio is dependent on it's use. Since all radios don't meet the particular standards for a particular band, not all of those commercially available radios can be used everywhere.
I have seen commercial broadcast transmitters used on the ham bands, amplifiers, commercial and home-made, and they -can- be perfectly legal. Depends on how/where they are used and by who. The exact same circumstances 'fit' a lot of things, cars/trucks for one. Not all can be driven on all roads. Absolutely understandable and reasonable.
A ham can do a lot of things that an unlicensed user can't do, that's part of the requirements for that license, knowing the rules, understanding the rules, and following them. A privileged always has obligations. It's the one with those 'privileges' to know and observe the obligations.
Not really all that hard to understand. Is it?
- 'Doc

10 METER RADIOS!

Well YOU & many OTHERS are going to use ANYTHING you want so the LAW is NOT an issue.LAURA is LEGAL COUNSEL for the FCC & I think she is UP on the LAW.Use whatever makes your little heart feel GOOD & sound like CRAP(you will fit right in).HOPE you get just what you DESERVE for your IGNORANCE & HARDHEADNESS.The world is FULL of people just like YOU.If I were a guessing man I'd say YOU voted for SADAM HUSSEIN OVOMIT for President as well & YOU think HE is the MESSIAH as well. }:>) :headbang

SIX-SHOOTER

Seriously though Six Shooter - export radios are legal on 10m only!
They are only illegal if used or modified for 11m/CB.
There are a lot of people trying to add to the confusion concerning their legality - check part 97 and you will see. Or, just call up the FCC and ask them yourself - you can do it!

ASK THEM?

I ask LAURA Smith by TELEPHONE(Legal Counsel for the FCC)& she says they are "ILLEGAL" for SALE or USE in the UNITED STATES of AMERICA just like it says on the FCC website & QTH.com list of ILLEGAL 10 meter radios? She also said that the list is NOT up to date due to production rates of NEW gear but she did say those rigs that are listed are ALL still BANNED & ILLEGAL so I'll go with that.I think when she took Riley Hollingsworths job they figured she could handle it & knew how to READ & INTERPET the LAWS she is paid to uphold.That's my LAST 2 cents about this matter so as I said,"RUN WHATEVER YOU FEEL SAFE & GOOD about running.I can live with ALL of my RADIO CHOICES & you can read on the list below for yourself,they are ALL "LEGAL" & NONE have had ANY mods. :sleep:

73 & God Bless,
SIX-SHOOTER

legal issues aside all these 10m rigs are a waste of money if buying new.only worth it if bought cheap ($50 or less) at a yard sale or flea market and you can verify operation.
some of these rigs are expensive used as they are collectors items.i often see rigs like the ts-430 for less than $250.
looking at it from this angle you can see the lack of value in a new 10m rig.
and you will no doubt tune around on the rest of the hf spectrum and get bit by the bug to upgrade!

TELEPHONE(Legal Counsel for the FCC)& she says they are "ILLEGAL" for SALE or USE in the UNITED STATES of AMERICA

Maybe for the CB Band, but not for a Licensed HAM.
She Better change a lot of Part 95 rules first.

Call the Phone number, use the Case number listed, and ask the Question....you will be surprised by the answer.
An Amateur can transmit on a frigging toaster if you can make it work on ten meters....It has been that way for ever.
Why do you think it was so common for Hams to use converted CB Radio`s on the 10 Meter Band?
A so called "Export "radio is just another transmitter, you can use it on the Ten and Twelve meter ( or any other band you can get it to work on for that matter ) band just like a Home Brew Rig...

We are allowed to "Build our own Stuff", and as long as it is is in compliance with the tech standard ....it is perfectly legal to use.

I am not making this up.....it has been a privilege of Hams to build there own equipment for the beginning.....How many guys have built 2 meter repeaters from old Business band radio`s?
I have built a bunch of two meter repeaters from old Forest service radios..... If a LICENSED HAM uses a Export radio on the bands he is licensed for....it is as legal as Ice Cream....
The Internet Myth that they are Illegal is just that, a myth.

No Personal attack aimed at you at all, I just want the Correct Information posted on the Forum.

Jeff

I would really, REALLY like for someone to post a link to the FCC website that contains the "banned" list of export radios and the quote that has to do with licensed amateurs not being allowed to operate them on 10/12m. I have been all over that site and it is a bitch to get info from but six-shooter says it is on the FCC site so perhaps he can provide a link to it. I have seen this list on QTH.com, qrz.com etc. etc and on just about every citation issued to a CB'er for using them but I have NEVER seen a citation issued to a ham for using one on 10 or 12m. If it not on the FCC site it is just hearsay. Again, I have NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER they are illegal for ANYONE to operate on 11m but operation by a licensed ham on 10 and 12m is another story.

They look nice.

I have had 4 Icom radios, three of which were IC706's: One original 706 and 2 MKIIG's. The MKIIG's have been in service for OVER 10 years in both mobile and base service without a blink. Icom makes good products and has for many, many years. I used to buy only Kenwood equipment, but I have had great service with Icom. ALL HF radios have failures and we, as customers, tend to see such failures as a harbinger of the failure of ALL of those products. This is NOT true. It's like saying ALL Ford cars are bad, and only Chevrolet is good. It is OPINION, and opinion ONLY. If Icom was so BAD, they would have been out of business eons ago, yet they remain one of the leaders in Amateur and commercial equipment. Indeed, they are usually in the forefront of innovation. Kenwood seems to have stopped in its tracks, it's last true innovation being when they stunned the HF world with its fine miniaturized TS-50. This was something that most of us prior to that time, accustomed to bulky HF radios, thought couldn't be done. Needless to say, I HAD to have one! Icom then took it a step further with the first all-in-on HF/VHF/UHF/scanning/general coverage rig and I was like WOW!!!! I had to have one of them, too! Icom sells LOTS of equipment to satisfied hams.

CWM

I have had 4 Icom radios, three of which were IC706's: One original 706 and 2 MKIIG's. The MKIIG's have been in service for OVER 10 years in both mobile and base service without a blink. Icom makes good products and has for many, many years. I used to buy only Kenwood equipment, but I have had great service with Icom. ALL HF radios have failures and we, as customers, tend to see such failures as a harbinger of the failure of ALL of those products. This is NOT true. It's like saying ALL Ford cars are bad, and only Chevrolet is good. It is OPINION, and opinion ONLY. If Icom was so BAD, they would have been out of business eons ago, yet they remain one of the leaders in Amateur and commercial equipment. Indeed, they are usually in the forefront of innovation. Kenwood seems to have stopped in its tracks, it's last true innovation being when they stunned the HF world with its fine miniaturized TS-50. This was something that most of us prior to that time, accustomed to bulky HF radios, thought couldn't be done. Needless to say, I HAD to have one! Icom then took it a step further with the first all-in-on HF/VHF/UHF/scanning/general coverage rig and I was like WOW!!!! I had to have one of them, too! Icom sells LOTS of equipment to satisfied hams.

CWM

And here I thought Jerry would be posting about the status of the 10m radios. :headbang Having an off day Jerry? :D

No, you have pretty well got it covered. The TRUTH is the TRUTH. I HATE the damned "fake" 10M radios; I won't make any bones about THAT.

As to the matter at hand, see below!

"None so blind as one who will not see" :eek::headbang

CWM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.