• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is your all time favorite BASE AMP?

696.jpg

692.jpg

Henry 8k hope to own one eventually

Now that's a Nice Driver. LOL

What is your all time favorite

Without a doubt the Syncron BV131-S is the best amp i've used, it runs off the mains, so no need for a power pack, and combined with my Sirio gain master gives just enough power to get the DX's i need to get.

Attachments

• amp 7.jpg
    amp 7.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 457
  • amp 8.jpg
    amp 8.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 436
The best ive ran is a sb 200 heathkit and my wizard built. Crusher did some mods to the wizard and made it alot better than when I got it. I hope crusher will build me something alittle bigger in the future. Wouldnt mind a sb 1000 for ssb in the future also. This is all I need like others have said antenna is most of it.

Last edited:
696.jpg

692.jpg

Henry 8k hope to own one eventually

Beware of the Henry 8K. In my opinion they are over priced, over complicated amps waiting to fail. Noted for the flapper contacts making poor connection and blowing up the doorknobs in the tank. Drive it a little hard and you may start getting hot spots on the L roller inductor. Once the silver arcs off the inductor, the amp is toast since no money can buy a replacement from Henry.

Only amp I ever owned was a Sonar BR-21. I modded it with a hand switch for the keying relay so I could run SSB through it. 12-20 in gave 50-75 out. It was all I ever needed.

382_Sonar_BR-2_Amp.JPG

Now that's old school but I know it did the job well. Back then I had a Courier 1M and the matching BL-100 that was just about the same circuit as the BR-21. I had a few other radios with more channels than the old Courier but the modulation that radio had with a G-stand mic was not easy to beat.

Wish I kept it as a collectors item. Thanks to the internet, I now realize the 1M was one of the very first class D radios manufactured. Then it was just a cool, old chrome plated radio that only had a few channels but awesome audio and I sold it accordingly.

I think I'd be a little leery of anything claiming a maximum output of 10 kw from a pair of 8877 tubes. It doesn't make sense to install two fragile $1000 tubes in an amp when a 3CX3000A7 would cost substantialy less, make more output and be considerably more reliable.

Drake L4B
Second is Heathkit SB-1000

I agree 10kw seems a little high for two 8877 tubes. I know it can probably be achieved with the proper power supply.But you better have a large surplus of extra matched tubes.

This is the amp to have. Photograph collections of HF-8022

Would need a nice a nice electronic phase converter and a a big single phase drop from the street.

Not legal though so I wouldn't suggest it. But would make a good heater with the proper size dummy load.

I Had a henry 8k ultra in for repair. The flapper connection wasn't really an issue. The c1 fixed caps would arc from the end of the cap to ground. From the screw which held the doorknob cap to the insulator and tab that made connection with the flapper. This would occur if one of the rollers lost connection to the l1 or l2 coils or if the swr was to high. When it would arc the doorknob would break and the microy insulator would become damaged and crack . Henry doesn't stock the custom made roller inductors or the microy insulators. The microy has to be purchased from crystex composites and cut to size by them. Then the holes had to be drilled by a machine shop. I modified the one I had repaired by putting a thicker piece of Teflon sheet under the fixed caps between the floor and the microy insulator on the plate side. I also had the holes slotted in the microy so I could move the caps further away from the flappers which were at ground potential. If a arc occured from the doorknob to one of the flappers. The doorknob cap would also be damaged.
The work can be seen at amprepairguy.com. The roller inductors were repaired by kintronic labs in Bristol Tennessee. It's a beautiful amp. But any amp with a roller inductor requires periodic matinence. If taken care of and run properly the 8k ultra will last a long time. But you have to realize the 8k rating is the input rating not the output. Just like all the other henry amplifiers.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite amp is the Rockwell Collins hf-8021 HF-8021 HF Amplifier Page . Can be run with a small phase converter or can convert stock 3 phase supplies to run on single phase. Has a variable vac cap for c1 and c2 and a double pi l tank circuit. Which gives you a super clean output.

I have heard from several sources over the years that the Ulvin amps are far from the cleanest amps on the market and have some stability issues. True or false I cannot say but just mentioning what I have heard.

I can't imagine the IMD could look good running 8877's at more than twice their ratings either.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.