• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What the heck is this thing I bought on eBay?

cphilip

Sep 10, 2006
Clemson SC
www.cphilip.com
Astatic? Has a four prong plug on it... couldn't pass it up for the price. Even if it turns out to be a paper weight.

f5_1.JPG

Ah... good guess. I will just have to see... But you pretty sure its a D-104. Which is why I was interested in it, working or not actually.

Another thing... is that a pair of handcuffs in the top right of the picture? Lord knows what they was using em for... :shock:

its a d104 with the gain control mounted on top of the base. if it works good its worth $20-$30 all day

Good deal. It may or may not work. The seller had no way to try it and knew nothing about it. But it came for $14.50 plus 8 bucks shipping.

If I am comparing pictures it appears to be a TUG9D104.

I think I want to bring it up to standards to run on a newer low impedance unit just for fun. Might even send it to someone for that. Unless I am suprised and I pop the bottom and find its been done already. But it there a reputable rebuilder of these anyone can recomend?

you can do it yourself if you know the impediance of the radio it will be used on, otherwise you can add a resistor to the audio line (white) and that will make it compatable with most transievers.

a tug 8 has 4 wires, a tug 9 has 6 wires. thats the only difference in them.

Ah! So its a TUG8 base then... unless its been rewired? Hard to say yet till I receive it.

I was looking around at some of the conversions. And found a few kits even. Going to have to do some head scratchin on this... but really can't do so till I see whats in there.

While I was searching around I got my first glimps at a Night Eagle. Now that a pretty Mic. Sure would like to have one.

While I am at it. Let me ask you a stupid question. What is the real meaning of the slang "power mic". I seem to be seeing it used on mics with a battery in the base as well as mics pulling power from the radio. Is it an inclusive term for any mic that gets and recieves a source of power? Not sure as I saw it applied in descriptions of these mics too.

its short for power amplified microphone. some ham radios will power them or batterys like you mentioned. it just means they are amplified.

pull the cover off the bottom and see how many wires are connected. if you see a yellow and blue wire it is a tug 9. if it had a shield, red, white, and black with no yellow or blue its a tug8.

you have the best base mic you can get. many people prefer the eagles over the d104's but im oldschool and prefer the d104's.

there are a few different mic's

d104 (like you have)
tup d104 (key on base and stalk)
d104 special edition (black base, chrome stalk,black head with base bar)
silver eagle (all silver)
night eagle (black and brass like you seen)
golden eagle (gold silver eagle with nameplate/ serial number)
diamond eagle (golden eagle with small real diamond on back)
final edition silver eagle (final run of astatic base mic's)

there are also "k" eagles, they have a multi-tone ets (roger beep) or morse "k" beep.

Thanks Carl. You have been most helpful.

But let me ask you one more question. If I check the battery and wiring connections to see that they are good and solid, and plug this into the RCI 2980wx (assuming a 4 prong is a 4 prong and so forth), I can go ahead and test it like that? Without any damage to the radio? Just not get the volume out of it unless its been modified? Do I have that correct?

I will bring this back up when I get it and perhaps post a picture of the insides.

Im guessing thats a noise toy most likely a space bird or maybe an echo I know they were installing noise toys in those big time here in the 1990s

the 2980 is a 4pin. as long as the mic is not wired for a midland 4 pin it would work.

put a battery in it, turn the mic down to 1/2 or less and try it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.