• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What the heck is this thing I bought on eBay?

9 volt is all it is.

here is a pic of what my tug9 looks like

mic2.JPG

Its a standard 9 volt battery. Use a good brand battery I use Duracel but Energizer otherwise those cheap batteries wont last long you will spend more replacing them than ya would spending $7.00 on a 2 pack of Duracel that way you have a spare on hand ;)

This thing just arrived....

Have not had a chance to open it up but it is a knob where they have indented reference marks into the base. It turns like a gain or volume or something.

Gimme a bit and I take a picture of its insides...

some stuff has been altered, looks like someone already put a resistor inline with the audio lead for better matching. looks like there is anothe resistor inline but i cant tell its so blurry and i can clear it up anymore. do you see a little capacitor anywhere?

I don't see one... but could be wrong. Had to snap that and then go to a Birthday party. Will look it over closer and see if I can get a clearer picture. I forgot and left my good digi cam at work Friday.

Also talked to Russ at R&R communications about it and he was saying he doubted it would need any coversion to work as some of you have also suggested.

I guess I can mike test it with this RCI2980 radio eh? And see. Compare it against the Stock mic.

just wondering, some people use a cap to cut down on rf feedback with some radios.

keep the gain at 1/2 or less on the mic. they dont get any louder after that, they do however pick up more background noise.

you will learn that you cannot have any thing going in the background. if the wife farts 2 rooms away they will hear it. they are that sensitive. they also cannot be used with talkback.

this is the wiring info for that galaxy.

shield 1
red 2
white 3
blue 4
yellow not used
black not used

some tug 8s even came that way , cap resistor inline with the audio lead , which makes for a very nicely mellowed D-104 Lolly Pop !! helps take out a lot of back ground noise as well as makes it a much better SSB microphone as far as my ear is concerned. Enjoy the mic. :)

Well... this thing works... and works well it seems.

I decided to try it so I could get constant feedback on its reach when the kid left for work. He goes in a 11 pm this time. So he got on his CB that I put in his car and monitors for me. So I went to AM and got on channel 21 and it was quite so we used that. And he was still hearing me and I was still picking up over 10 miles or so when he was starting to lose me. However I had forgotten to turn the power down on the Radio so was cranking.

Shortly after we ended our test and I was satisfied that it was fully functional and the kid was telling me it was nice and clear the wife calls me from up at the house. She calls me on the cell phone and tells me to knock it off. I said whats up? And she says that I am coming in loud and clear on the Weather radio in the bed room. LOUD and clear she says. Oooops!

Now whats up with that?

I realize this is not a mic question and I realize I had brodcasted at too much power but heck thats not even close to the frequency I was on. Just too much power? Antenna is on the roof of the house of course so its relatively close I guess. But it's on the opposite end and at least 40 feet or better from that weather radio. But it was flooding through it from what she says. Good thing I was not talking bad about her!

Ah me... going to get in trouble if I do not watch it. :shock: :( :D

hamonics, there will be a second harmonic at exactually double your frequency and so on.

also your modulation has increased bigtime and if you spread the little coils in the back of your radio (they are rfi traps) it allows less nansty to be filtered out, that can have an effect on it.

i will never use a base setup (cb anyways) without one of my trusty d104's. my ham's wont use a d104 however.

What would you suggest to prevent it Carl? Will turning down the power lessen it? It seems the only thing affected. I could just turn it off if need be.

And how far out do you suspect this run over is occuring?

I have few neigbors and first one is at least a 1/4 mile away. but still wonder if I was negatively affecting any of them. I doubt it but... still don't want to do that. I certainly didn't need it set up that high. Just forgot to turn it down when I switched over from USB.

I personally wouldn't worry about your neighbors a 1/4 mile away (I mean it's happened ,but not likely) ....that's great for you !!! You said you were flooding , that can make for stray RF floating all over the place from time to time , Hey !! it's only a little weather radio 40 ft away !! See what happens after things dry up around you, just might take the bleedover right away .....there's all kinds of things you can do , turn the power down , buy a inline filter , turn the audio down ,ground ground ground and more ground, the list goes on , you might even move the weather radio to anohter location and chances are your bleed will go bye bye , the one good thing about this is that on it's your own stuff , I'd worry less about that then I would somebody else's stuff.....unless momma's got more pull then any of us might think. Good luck to you, Switch Kit

make sure the limiter isnt clipped in the radio. keep the power low.

i wish i could tell you a simple fix, there isnt one. i have probably the nicest uniden grant xl you will ever see. i bought it many years ago and finally took it out of the box when my son was born in march. limiter intact, stock power levels, just a clean tune and with my d104 i come across the baby monitors. there is nothing i have found the helps.

what i do most of the time is turn off my cb and turn on my kenwood tm 271a 2m rig and talk on that. alot of the cbers in the area have 2m radios for use on murs, i talk to them and those with there tickets we use the repeaters.

radios.JPG

Carl said:
make sure the limiter isnt clipped in the radio. keep the power low....

It's not supposed to be. The place I bought the radio from swears by not clipping and just aligning and tuning.

Nice little set up carl. I want to do something with just a simple decent cheapish but good mobil CB as unit for my motorcycle trailer. Battery running and all that. Working on that now.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut: