• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which amp to go with

Well thanks to all went with a Dave Made, found a great deal on it and remember I'm not driving it hard.
It seems to be fairly clean as we tested it..
Now I know it will create some fead back but its not bleading channels or interference with radios or TV's

If you overdrive any Texas Junk, Class B, or Class C amp you'll get distortion. Just throwing some simple common sense into the mix.

jumping in..staying on topic :)

since the OP has found his amp for AM, might I ask what would be the best for am AND ssb..
new to linears, looking to get my ticket, so expect to run near the full spectrum ..
couple of questions too if i might...i'm hearing a lot about input voltages having to be dropped. so if i had to i guess i would run my 257hp cranked all the way down..are there amps that will take a full-bore input without imploding (in the event i was running on radio amp and then switched on boot w/o knocking down the input power)

another one :)
do they have class D amps for ham/cb? i've used them in car audio in the past and the distortion (.001%thd) was great as well as the minimal power draw

if my questions sound stoopid just say so, just looking to learn and grab the best i can afford first time around...i hate spending $150 on something to have it only worth $5 two weeks later ( 75wxst :D )

You have alot of reading up to do if you plan on being a ham. Ham gear in general costs more because it's built to standards and is legal. You can read about classes of amplifiers, class D is not for ham or cb use. Even high dollar Ameritron amplifiers sound like crap when you overdrive them. Just do alot of google searches on what your looking to find out.

Definitely no argument about the reading i still have to do. I actually plan on taking a course held by a "somewhat" local club next month.
The above posts describe the A, AB and C class amps pretty thoroughly (all available in car audio), guess I was just wondering if D class had been brought into the mix due to it's stability, relatively low power-waste and cleanliness at higher demands.

appreciate the reply, will google

thanks

class D audio amps are popular for sub woofers because that part of the audio spectrum isn't as audibly effected by high IMD as mid and high frequencies .

might I ask what would be the best for am AND ssb..
new to linears, looking to get my ticket, so expect to run near the full spectrum ..
couple of questions too if i might...i'm hearing a lot about input voltages having to be dropped. so if i had to i guess i would run my 257hp cranked all the way down..are there amps that will take a full-bore input without imploding (in the event i was running on radio amp and then switched on boot w/o knocking down the input power)
if you're gonna get your ticket and "run near the full spectrum"

http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=AL-811H

will handle the drive of your 257hp and be ready when you are to expand your frequency horizons . you will need a key switch for am use though .

Last edited by a moderator:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.