• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

which one is the right formula.?????

If your coax velocity factor is .84 and you want your 1/2 wave multiples/antenna centred on 27.185 mhz then your looking at 15.2feet or 15' 2 1/2 inches.

if you want to repeat the antenna swr to the meter,then repeat that swr back to the amp,s output,and also repeat the amps input impedance back to the radio the safest policy is to use 3x15' 21/2" leads.the meter isn't a load its a pass through device so shouldn't affect your swr readings,

the linear input is a load so
if after that the swr is high at the radio then the input swr of the amp is poor,due to poor design of the amp.a good amp should have variable input tuning,most cb transistor ones don't.

you could mess around with the lead between the amp and radio to fix that but it won't have any effect on antenna swr,only what the radio see's,if the radio has high swr protection circuits it will cut power output if it doesn't see a good swr,another way you could do it is keep the leads the same size and use a matcher at the radio end which would give you a conjugate match if set right and prevent the radio dropping power.which is a similar effect to messing with the lead length.

if you have poor grounding you could wrap both leads between radio and amp and amp and swr meter into a coil to form an rf choke which will reduce common mode current.but the best solution when running power is a good grounded antenna.

bottom line is nothing you do with coax length will change the ANTENNA swr,but it can affect readings elsewhere,especially at the radio end which is undesireable as it could trigger the radios protection circuits and reduce output power.some radios are more forgiving than others in that dept,i've had radios that would tx into very high swr with minimal power reduction and others like the ts50 that shut down tx completely above 2.0:1 swr.

thanks to all the replies but i'm going to go out of the box here for a minute.
what changes here=example i tune my bounce back system with just the radio wow 1.1swr now i turn on the amp damm 1.6swr. ok so now i re tune the antennas with the amp on. i get swr down to 1.2 swr then i re check bare foot and the swr are still 1.1 what change i retune the antennas to the amp and still ended with a 1.1swr.???

So how did you retune the antenna?
- 'Doc

i re tune the antennas with the amp on...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

put 1st antenna in the front hot then tune for lowest SWR move it to the rear mount mount front antenna start 5 inches shorter tune for lowest SWR

Last edited:
If your load ( antenna ) is EXACTLY 50 OHM's.
AND
your load does not have ANY inductance or reactance ( J +/- Zero ),

Then, and only then you length of coax does not matter.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you have to RE-TUNE your amplifier after switching from your dummy load to antenna ( assuming the dummy load IS 50 OHM's and most of them are), your antenna is NOT 50 OHM's.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If your antenna is NOT + or - J zero, your SWR meter is reading incorrectly.

using an electrical half wavelength (or multiples) of coax does not change the vswr or tune the antenna on the cb band or have any effect on the tx or rx . from what i understand it does help typical cb vswr meters measure more accurately though .
I could not afford to run more than two bands on ham radio if coaxial length mattered at all. I run 160 meters up to 6 meters on one antenna and one length of coax.

"If your antenna is not + or - J zero"........ Now I am thinking. Because the impedance is off the meter won't read correctly? The reactance causes the voltage and current to be out of phase?
Yes there is a phase shift in reactive loads. ELI the ICE man. Inductive: E leads current,
Capacitive: I leads E
That is the very reason you need to use a resistive load when doing radio test.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.