• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why Smoke Free?

Lawson

Dec 27, 2010
Hi Guys,

New here, and new to DXing ... so be gentle.

Doing research on a good SWL rig to buy, and I often see people add the line to their ads (smoke free home).

Why is this? Is this something I should ask if it's not noted on the ad, and is it really that important?

I've tried seaching for threads about this on the net, but I get 10 million results; and it's all personal health stuff. It would be impossible to wade through all the search results in 10 lifetimes :eek: so I thought you guys would be the ones to ask ... and it's good to be a member since I'm getting into this hobby, and this is a great place to get up to speed.

Thanks in advance for all advice given

Well, after buying a radio on ebay that did not mention it was from a smoker I can see why people advertise "smoke free home".

1. The radio stunk as I unpacked it. Smelt like an ashtray.
2. There was some gunge over all the knobs, especially the channel and clarifier and on the mike (I actually ended up ditching the mike in the bin).
3. The display was hazed, cleaning did no good, as I think it had seeped behind the perspex cover.
4. I opened it up to fix a squelch problem (which the seller also negelected to mention) and the whole cct board was covered with the same sort of gunge the knobs were.

The radio is relegated to the shed, and I can still smell the damn thing.

yea , tobacco smoke leaves a residue that builds up on everything and causes stuff to smell like the ashtray that autotune mentioned . if youre not a smoker it can be very offensive to your nose .

if i sell something i advertise it as coming from a tobacco free environment , not smoke free . LOL ;)

Lawson,
I think you've answered your own question. I also think your experience was on the 'extreme' end of that sort of thing. Sounds like that radio wasn't cleaned very often.
- 'Doc

If the radio has been around smoke for a long time the whole inside of the radio, especially the hi-heat areas, they get a gunky buildup of tar. Not fun to clean and will lower the life expectancy of the radio. (as well as the owner who smoked around it).

PS:I just bought a ic-7000 that was supposed to be smoke free. Every time I fire it up i get a smell of smoke like a frikin ash tray. People will lie to get more money out of the sale, so beware!!!!

Bounce dryer clothes for the dryer works wonders in removing smoke smell.

It will not remove the nicotine all over the inside of the rig if it is that bad mucked up only a good cleaning will get rid of that mess.

I have been into a few old hybrids for repair alignment that came from smoke environment, spent more time cleaning the rigs than I did repairing or aligning them.

Dunk it in a tub of scalding hot soapy water and brush vigorously with the appropriate brush for best results the blow as much water off as you can after rinsing then either set the item on or near low heat and or in direct sunshine for a few days.

The sun does wonders for stinkies also.

Or you can open it up, put a bunch of dryer sheets inside the radio, then close it back up, put dryer sheets in a trash bag, and tie it shut.. leave it where it can stay warm, but not hot, for a few days... when you open it up, throw all the dryer sheets away... worked wonders for an older rig I picked up a few months ago.

Dunk it in a tub of scalding hot soapy water and brush vigorously with the appropriate brush for best results the blow as much water off as you can after rinsing then either set the item on or near low heat and or in direct sunshine for a few days.

The sun does wonders for stinkies also.

ive found rubbing alcohol is great for cleaning bo... , um , Turkish water pipes . add some salt as a mild abrasive and shake it for 30-45 seconds .

could rubbing alcohol be used also mack ?

I did clean the board with pure alcohol, it cleaned it OK visually, but still stunk.
Make the mistake of getting some on the rubber ring around the channel selector, that got rid of the gunge along with the rubber ring.

I then decided to try the alcohol with some coca-cola and soon forgot about the radio.

I don't smoke. I don't hang around with smokers nor do I have any smoking friends or close acquaintances. Therefore, having to smell someone's addiction every time I turn on a radio is not something I desire nor do many others. So sellers, please be honest. If someone lies about the rig they're selling being smoke/tobacco free, then I think they deserve whatever wrath befalls them.

I smoke but not in the house. When I bought my old Browning base the guy that had it was a cigar smoker. The ash try was right in front of the radio. It took a lot of cleaning but I got the color of the radio back to what it was supposed to be. It was a mess!

Terry

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.