• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT450D vs. Alinco SR8

I own a few Alinco repaired a few and have a few more to fix or send out. They all can break no matter what brand their electronic devices as far as ugly well their radios and I don't buy them or own them because they are "pretty" reliable is what matters when spending this kind of money or ide buy a broken top of the line rig to look at. I have Icom but don't care for Icom although they are supposed to work good for CB 11 meter radios a lot of guys run them they can be had cheap but people still like them and that's ok to each their own. Actually the SR8 reminds me of an Icom 718 in a way. Alinco is definitely a cheaper cost radio so that does make it easier on the wallet or purse I suppose. Its all preference in the end Im sure the Alinco parts are or should be available faster now as their was a 6 month wait on the parts I called Burghardt Amateur because I was offered a trade a while back on one of my Yaesu FT-840 Rigs that have all filters TCXO-4 and FM boards but after talking to the service department backed out of it and I was kind of bummed out because I wanted to try one out just to play at the time and I was bummed because it wasn't going to cost but a simple trade. But.....because I have my other radios if I found an Alinco SR8 at a hamfest or swapmeet for $300.00 - $350.00 I would probably try it out.

This is what I do whenever buying ham gear. I read a true review by owners and repair techs that use them across the bands they all work on 11 meters so that for me isn't a main concern I just want them to work all the way through the bands. and stay working.

Yaesu 450D - http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/9529

Alinco SR8 - http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/8897?page=2

Between the two, I also would lean toward the Yaesu 450D. More features, better display is what I initially see. I don't think it's ugly.

You may want to look at the Icom 718 since it is on sale for $600.00 at HRO and Universal Radio which is close to what I see the Alinco being sold for.

The next step up in Icom is the 7200 which adds DSP like the Yaesu 450D
and it's similar in price as well. This one adds IF filters and Twin Pass band filters for interference rejection. These are a must IMHO when bands are crowded.

So really the Alinco DX-SR8T and the Icom 718 are truly nice entry level radios and sell for about the same price.

The Yaesu 450D and the Icom 7200 are really a step up having features like the their big brothers but an affordable price. The Alinco DX-SR9T would be in this same category too.

It only gets more expensive from there!

I hope that helps...

Last edited:
Thanks, I also like that recommendation of that IC-718 so I'm looking at that now too. Now to see how many options I have here in our place.

Thanks for taking the time to respond guys. Letting me pick your minds is really much appreciated.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.