• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeasu or off brand?

The Mad Scientist

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 24, 2012
Northeast Pa
Hi all, been on the market for a 2/70cm rig and would like to get some opinions.
I was thinking of the Yeasu 8800r. But it would seem that some of the "no name brands" are getting good reviews.

Just like to get some opinions on it.

Thanks.

Last edited:

The FT-897D has been sufficiently debugged by the amateur community that it's now a decent radio unlike the old FT-897. Apparently Yaesu no longer employs engineers capable of debugging complicated electronics before selling thousands of rigs. Just about every new rig they release to the public has some flaw Yaesu didn't bother to debug.

Some of them are quite serious and result in spurious emissions that miss FCC specs by miles. Other are less serious like PL encoders that developed a square wave output that can't be filtered out in any receiver or water proof hand helds that sound like you're talking under water because they sealed over the mic.

If you're buying Yaesu today, make sure you wait until the "D" model comes out a few years after everyone who bought the first version lights a fire under Yaesu's ass to fix all the bugs they dumped on to the first buyers. As far as I'm concerned Yaseu has completely lost control over quality control.

Sound like I don't like Yaesu? I use to very much. I was a faithful customer from 1979 when I purchased my first FT-101ZD. That radio still works today. After buying a new VX-7R and FT-857, both with several bugs right out of the box, I think they suck now and don't treat the customers they beat properly once we realize they screwed us.

If you like a particular brand/model of radio, and if it's of reasonable quality (no idea of what that is), then why not. I have preferences that may not be the same as others', but I also own a 'non-name-brand' radio. It does what I want and expect it to, so I'm happy with it. It didn't cost as much as similar 'name-brand' radios but I honestly don't care what 'name' is on it if it works right, you know?
I know next to nothing about Yaesu radios so won't try to compare them with anything. I can say that I've only owned one, and no longer own it because I had a huge problem making sense out of it's programming. It did exactly what it was supposed to do, but I just didn't like it. Suit yourself.
- 'Doc

PS - I would give my eye teeth for one or two of Yaesu's older models, but haven't seen a new model that suits me at all. Has nothing to do with any 'problems', just don't like their 'style'.

And of course... If you ain't got Kenwood, you got squat.

Every radio has some kind of quirk in the low to mid range K,Y,I or any of the players in today's market.
But it's those little quirks that make the hobby interesting. Every one wants a radio that is floor less out of the box but the end user loves a "mod" fix or somthing to get that little bit extra. There will never be "the perfect radio" until you splash the CASH$$$$ on top shelf equipment that comes with genuine customer service.

I found it right off but then again I will be the first to spell Yeasu....umm Yaesu wrong every time.

I personally wait a few years before deciding to buy a "new" model of radio just for the reason there will usually be some bugs that need to be worked out of that radio.....

But those so called "off brands" for me personally has not been out long enough for me to give any serious thought to buying one.

I have been hearing of folks that buy one of the China made radios ( handhelds) for 60 to 80 dollars and they live for 6 months to a year and then fail big time.For me personally that just isnt worth it.

I just bought a Yaesu FT 60 handheld and so far I am liking it,fairly easy to program .I know several folks in my area that has owned that handheld for a few years with no glitches .....that speaks more to me than one that has a low price

I don't want China to have my money period. Anything we buy from them strengthens them as a nation. I rather pay more for quality stuff(non-union if possible)made in the USA.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.