• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Your vote on Modification

i unsolder the surface mount part and tape it to the inside of the case,
i may want to put it back one day,

clippers are for toenails and cigars;)

Reactions: 1 person
i unsolder the surface mount part and tape it to the inside of the case,
i may want to put it back one day,

clippers are for toenails and cigars;)

I like that idea.

Sent from Outerspace, on the DarkSide of X.

Saving the component is a good idea.

What mod you are doing should be thought about, example

You can mod the IC-7000 for out of band operation AND you can mod it to receive TV on the display.

The TV mod, in my opinion is useless in the United States since TV is digital now.

Saving the component is a good idea.

What mod you are doing should be thought about, example

You can mod the IC-7000 for out of band operation AND you can mod it to receive TV on the display.

The TV mod, in my opinion is useless in the United States since TV is digital now.

Ah man I'm hungover......this thread has to do with any HF modifications based on MARS/CAP mods dealing with removing components.
i am NOT doing the TV mod on my IC-7000 no reason to.
as for out of band mod yes that will be done. got to figure out how to remove the component safely.

Last edited:
Ah man I'm hungover......this thread has to do with any HF modifications based on MARS/CAP mods dealing with removing components.
i am NOT doing the TV mod on my IC-7000 no reason to.
as for out of band mod yes that will be done. got to figure out how to remove the component safely.

Without looking at the mod; if it requires removing smt resistors be very careful! You have to have the right equipment to remove them. Just a little heat and I've seen them pop off the board. That's ok if you see where it landed :blink: If not it could very well short something out.

On one radio I modded, I was putting just a little pressure on the tiny SMT resistor with a very fine point soldering tip, trying to get it to budge just a bit so I could carefully remove it. Much to my surprise, after a few seconds, it just flicked off and went flying across the room never to be seen again, lol. That one's not getting put back. :)

Note to self: Don't do it like that again!

On one radio I modded, I was putting just a little pressure on the tiny SMT resistor with a very fine point soldering tip, trying to get it to budge just a bit so I could carefully remove it. Much to my surprise, after a few seconds, it just flicked off and went flying across the room never to be seen again, lol. That one's not getting put back. :)

Note to self: Don't do it like that again!

Haha, wish u had a video of it lol

I always do what KC8ADU recommended. Very gently lift one end with a small soldering iron. The part stays in place (no storage needed), the part is out of the circuit to allow the mod to happen, and if you want to sell the equipment it's very easy to push it back into place to resolder it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.