• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 Hf Antenna Tips From Qst

#7 and #8 have no bearing on a ground plane antenna.
He is talking about a single element radiator. A ground plane already has the radials built-in, so to speak.
PR

when i think of a single element radiator for cb use i think of 99s , 2000s , bandits and ringos since they have no groundplane elements other than the coax shield or its mast/tower .

of course me "thinking" has gotten me in big trouble befor too ! LOL

Those antennas dont use the tower or mast as such, the lower section is the radial section ( groundplane) and the upper section is the radiator. (108" whip)

Any use of the supporting structure is incidental.

An Amateur vertical is only half of an antenna, think of half of a dipole. It needs the other half to work.

PR

Where is the feed point on those antennas? Is there anything 'below' them? If that feed point isn't at the point where that 'upper' and 'lower' radiator meet...
- 'Doc

Where is the feed point on those antennas? Is there anything 'below' them? If that feed point isn't at the point where that 'upper' and 'lower' radiator meet...
- 'Doc

They are all end fed antennas about a half wave length long. The common misconception that an end fed 1/2 wave vertical does not need radials is exactly that, a misconception. It will work without them but it will work MUCH better with them.

"Those antennas dont use the tower or mast as such, the lower section is the radial section ( groundplane) and the upper section is the radiator."

looking at the 99/200 exposed articles both of them are just a short peice of coax with a tuning coil and a wire running inside to the top inside the fiberglass formers . the lower sections are not groundplanes . someone gave you some incorrect info .

The Antron 99 exposed! by dxzone.com
The Imax 2000 EXPOSED!

the ringo is essentally the same thing (with a different method for tuning) but doesnt need a fiberglass structure to keep it verticle because its aluminium tubing .

Nope. If they are anything like a super big stick, I am right. Take a piece of coax, strip off the outer jacket 1/2 wl, fold the shield back 1/2 way leaving the center conductor full length and you have a 1/2 wave end fed ground plane. Exactly what those antennas are. Doesnt matter what people say, hang it in mid air from a string, and you still have a complete antenna that works fine. No radials required. Stick it on your chimney and it works. Put it on a fiberglass flag pole, and it works.No radials required.

PR

packrat, i am not being sarcastic, i am actually curious.

if thats how the A99 works, then why does it need the tuning rings?

wouldnt the antenna you describe be broadband enough to work the 40 CB channels without the "matching network"?
LC

if you look at the pics in the articles i linked to youll see theres only one conductor comming out the top of the matching network and that is for the verticle radiator . there is no ground plane in those antennas . even antron and i-max knows that . thats why they sell the ground planes for them seperately .

if you go a step further and read the articles they even say that.....
antron 99
"Except for the lower 2 feet of the antron 99 , all the rest of the antenna contains nothing more than a straight peice of #16 bare copper wire !"

i-max 2000
"...................... its just a length of stranded copper wire"

this is not whats going on in or with any of the 4 antennas i mentioned .
http://www.iw5edi.com/ham-radio/?the-vertical-bazooka-antenna,18

Nope. If they are anything like a super big stick, I am right. Take a piece of coax, strip off the outer jacket 1/2 wl, fold the shield back 1/2 way leaving the center conductor full length and you have a 1/2 wave end fed ground plane. Exactly what those antennas are. Doesnt matter what people say, hang it in mid air from a string, and you still have a complete antenna that works fine. No radials required. Stick it on your chimney and it works. Put it on a fiberglass flag pole, and it works.No radials required.

PR

You are correct about the Big Stick. It is what is known as a coaxial sleeve antenna. The coax shield serves as the other half of the antenna and the way the shield is folded back makes it act as a stub preventing the rest of the coax from radiating. The other antenna mentioned above are not like that at all. They are simply end fed 1/2 waves.

BTW, even tho the coax cable attaches to the end of the Big Stick it is NOT an end fed antenna. It is actually a center fed antenna when you look at what the RF actually does.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.