• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

102" whip ????

IDIeselman

Oct 20, 2010
Lake Michigan
My never ending quest for the best antenna system I can have has led me to this antenna but, With my limited knowledge, I would like to know why If at 27.205 mhz the antenna is happiest at 103.216 inches does everyone just throw a six inch spring or riser under them? I understand this helps with SWR but would one not be better off with an equal or close to it split? Say a three inch riser for an acceptable SWR and a far more resonant antenna. It has been written that "You really do not need to "tune " a 102" whip, you need to match the feed point impedance." I have been to and read K0BG`s Web site many times over and sadly I understand about 3/5 of the information there. Should I try for a happy medium or just go with the flow and add a six inch riser?

That whip was designed to be mounted onto a mount with a spring where the coax is actually split with the center going to the antenna and the shield going to the ground on one of the screws at the mount. I believe that kind of mount helped to get the impedance correct. The swr was always 1.5 or less using a mount of that style.
I have never used a mount where the coax screws onto it using that whip so I can't say what is normal for these newer style mounts. The whip is not long enough by itself for use on cb freqs because it is thin.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.