• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10k for 2meters?

Tony

Nov 24, 2007
just wondering if i can trim a 10k down to use on 2 meters if it would work as good as just buying a 2 meter antenna ........i know what your thinking why not just get a 2meter antenna......its a causemetic thing..........thanks in advance

Can it be done? Yes, in a number of ways. Is it a good idea? Uh, no, it really isn't.
- 'Doc

(Better turn the light on before applying too much of those "causemetic things"...)

you coulda told him WHY it isn't a good idea.....a coil effectively SHORTENS an antenna, while a FULL SIZED antenna SHOULD work much better. so, on CB freqs, full sized is a bit too big, BUT on 2 meters it WON'T be. if nothing else, a 'thicker' antenna MAY work a bit better then a whip on 2m, so experiment THAT way, don't waste the 10k.

...sorry, but a coil doesn't 'shorten' an antenna, it effectively makes a short antenna longer. A 'short' antenna has an over abundance of capacitive reactance. By adding inductive reactance, a coil, the reactance is 'balanced' (actually '0'), which is the definition of resonance.

I think it wouldn't be a very good idea to 'cut' a '10K' down for two meters. Just too many other ways to have a good two meter antenna. But, one way would be to shorten the vertical portion, 'scale' it down from it's roughly 27 Mhz design frequency length to the two meter band. That would probably necesitate re-doing the matching network. No idea what a used '10K' is worth, but it should be at least enough to buy a decent two meter antenna!
I'm just not exactly sure I'd be willing to do that 'cutting'/'scaling'. If Tony wants to, then have at it!
- 'Doc

you coulda just said that the 1st time ;-)
techically, it DOES shorten an antenna......a quarter wave antenna at cb freqs would be around 108". if that is too long for whatever reason, shorten it by coiling up part of it. now, throw in the part that goes: "A 'short' antenna has an over abundance of capacitive reactance. By adding inductive reactance, a coil, the reactance is 'balanced' (actually '0'), which is the definition of resonance." and we're all good.
on the plus side, tony the ham is looking to experiment with his amateur radio gear. having seen maybe 2 used 10k's ever, a new one is in the $80 ballpark.....

well the thing is that i have a 10k 22" on top of the cab at the back for 10,11 meters and i had a 5/8 starit antenna for 2meters but it was hitting the 10k while driving down the road so i wanted to use a 9" shaft and cut it down to use it that way .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.