• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

12 tube phantom

Raider

Nov 23, 2008
I need help on a 12 tube phantom. The tubes check good. We have found some socket ground issues and have been going through it. We are only seeing about 700w out of it and the tubes test very strong. It is a 4 driving 8 configuration. My question is how much output power should these amps produce? Having 2 more tubes will they outperform the 10 tuber that came later? How much drive should you drive an amp like this. We are driving it presently with about 10w of swing. Im not into hooking modulators up to these sweep tube boxes. I want to use it as it was intended. Can someone help. The relays all seem to be working. Is it true that the 10 tuber produced just as much power but was more efficient. Can someone that knows these amps help me. I would really appreciate it.

how much power are you wanting to get out if it
thats about normal
might get a few hundred more watts but it will depend on the drive of the radio
those were designed to operate with a 1 to 1 1/2 watts deadkey and modulate to 15 to 18 watts
any more than that and you are seeing Ghostwatts

What tubes are they? That makes a big difference in both driver stage and final stage.
I won't go into the silliness of using that many tubes, or expecting anything but trouble from such an amplifier.
- 'Doc

it has 12 6lq6s. My call is kd5ezr. I am using this amp as a learning tool. thank you - 12 6lq6 should do more that 700 i would think. I hope that the type of amp it is is not distorting what could be wrong with it. thanks

What tubes are they? That makes a big difference in both driver stage and final stage.
I won't go into the silliness of using that many tubes, or expecting anything but trouble from such an amplifier.
- 'Doc

w5lz-1.jpg

Come on Scrooge, give us something positive.

Last edited:
is this what is called a killowatt 12 tube or just a regular 12 tube how many power levels does it have if it only has a low and a high thats about normal for watts if it is the killowatt phantom it has 4 stages and bigger transformers they will do better than 1000 watts

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.