• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

158 w/ amp

medo

Aug 17, 2010
Hello all,
I got a ? for anyone with an answer.

i picked up an ss158edx a year ago or so, has a 8 watt dk and about 30 watts forward swing.

I know this fellow who has a "name' brand 2 x SC2290 X 4 x 2SC2879 amp, in what he claims, immaculate condition, w/ an internal PS, for a price i almost cant pass up, its listed at 7 bills on the CO. website

Im wondering if the 158 would be a good driver for this amp, the modulation of the 158 is pretty impressive, i was thinking the 2 would be a powerhouse together, say if i dropped that dk back 2-3 watts.

What y'all think?

I dont want to buy another radio, but the offer on the box is a steal of a deal..

is this seat taken??

1sm213sharepopcorn.gif

Ok, I'll bite.

That amplifier is probably a class C splatter box good for talking on channel 19 or dropping the hammer on a local trouble maker. Not at all what you want for SSB use or clean clear AM talking.

The other problem is that radio is way too hot for a 2x4 amplifier as is. You would have to have the radio de-tuned to something like a 2-3 watt dead key and 20-25 watts PEP.

I would get something like a Texas Star 500, TnT 350, or TnT 600. You will still have to adjust the AM dead key level but thats easy.

Thanks for the reply.

The amp is a Xt40012.

Still a good price hes asking, but I'm going to pass on it andlook for a 4 pill of similar i guess.

(y)

I was thinking that, but I realy like the 158. I know alot of folks think its a dog, but the audio, at least on this particular one, is outstanding. Loud and crystal clear.

Ok, I'll bite.

and so will i. some of booty's girls' popcorn that is......

oh. dx500. SCREAMED on AM. sounded EXCELLENT on SSB, too. 27.381-27.388. i WAS trying to talk on channel 38, but the superdrift 158 would never cooperate. 99% of comments on 10m were also about how good it sounded.......but that i needed the high stability crystal option on my 706 ;-)

Ok it's a base amp. The XT40012 is a class B (for SSB) amp and is a real monster. Your radio is alittle too hot for it as is. If the deal is right you could always have the radio tuned down to match that amp. Tough choice.

Ok it's a base amp. The XT40012 is a class B (for SSB) amp and is a real monster
If it is an XT-40012, yes that is a lot of drive.
If it is a really great deal, I would go ahead and get it and look for a single final radio to drive it.The 40012/60012 base amp`s are $$$$.
That or sell it and get a 40012/HD model with the money you get from the sale.

Jeff

and so will i. some of booty's girls' popcorn that is......

oh. dx500. SCREAMED on AM. sounded EXCELLENT on SSB, too. 27.381-27.388. i WAS trying to talk on channel 38, but the superdrift 158 would never cooperate. 99% of comments on 10m were also about how good it sounded.......but that i needed the high stability crystal option on my 706 ;-)

LOL, SuperDrift 158..i like it..and damn thats appropriate.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.