• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2 antennas 1 roof

Gearhead

Feb 4, 2007
I have a wilson 5000 for CB and now a larsen dual band 2 m/70 cm NMO mount antenna I want to mount to my ford ranger. I always had the wilson mag mounted to the center of the roof, and am getting ready to drill a hole for the permanant mount. I also want my VHF/UHF antenna permanant mounted, but since I can't have 2 antennas in the same spot, where would be the best place to mount them? Will they interfere with each other's radiation pattern and/or swr, if I mount both on the roof? It's a standard cab ranger, so the roof is pretty small...

The bands for the two different antennas are far enough apart that they won't interact with each other that much. They will interact some, but it might not be enough for you to even notice. I would just space the 2m/440 antenna out as far as you can from the other one and call it good. Another option is to mount that VHF/UHF with a hood mount of some kind; the kind that make it look like it's a regular FM radio antenna. That will get it a little farther away from the Wilson 5000 and you probably won't notice any difference in performance.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about the hood, too, but already have a roof mount. I believe the best place for an omni antenna is center mounted on roof. If I can only have one up there, the CB antenna wins, since I use it more, lol.

2 Antenna's 1 Roof

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about the hood, too, but already have a roof mount. I believe the best place for an omni antenna is center mounted on roof. If I can only have one up there, the CB antenna wins, since I use it more, lol.
Well You Got too Remember the BODY is A SPONGE on2&440 You don't Want too COOK YOU & You're Passengers With the Dualband Antenna Be Careful.:w00t:

I think I'd just mount that 2 meter antenna on the roof. As Mole' said, there will probably be some interaction but not enough to make much, if any, practical difference.
The biggest problem with roof mounting any antenna isn't electrical, it's mechanical. As in hitting stuff. Large or small, it will eventually get whacked by something. In most cases that's not much of a problem. If you can 'live' with it, 'it' can too.
- 'Doc

The bands for the two different antennas are far enough apart that they won't interact with each other that much. They will interact some, but it might not be enough for you to even notice.
I bet the actual physical length of the antennas in question, and the distance between them, have more to do with whether they will interact; more so than what band they are designed for. I could definitely see one or the other acting as a director or a reflector. However, I do agree there is a 99.999999% chance that practically you won't see any type of effect of one on the other at all. It is one of those things you won't know until you try, though.

I'm afraid it isn't the actual length that's going to determine how 'directive' it would be. It'll be the 'electrical' length, which isn't going to be close enough to be much of a director/reflector with either of them.
Any two or more antennas 'near' each other will have some affect on each other. It may require a slight change in tuning, but maybe not. I only know of one way to find out. More than likely, it's just not going to be that big'a deal.
- 'Doc

(Then again, it's a Ford. What can you say...)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.