• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2 meter antenna

J Pole, dipole or 1/4 wave groundplane. All are easy to make. Just google them. I made a jpole, it cost about 20$, and a groundplane was about 5$.

Hey there..

forget the JPole unless you are looking to build an antenna
the JPole is a so so ok antenna..

my suggestion would be more a high gain antenna..
Forget the GP-3 mentioned before..
Forget the Dimond antenna mentioned (it is same as GP-3)

i have friends using all 3 of the antennas mentioned so far and of those 3 are so so antennas...
seems best of those 3 are a simple JPole..

even so if you are going to use a roof-base antenna
I use a Comet GP-9 dual bander that has worked very well for last 4 years or so (the GP-3 and Dimond antenna mentioned i have found to be poor range antennas)

the Comet GP-9 antenna i use is about 18 ft tall with 8.5 Dbi on VHF and 12.6 Dbi gain on UHF

here is link to my antenna and the GP-3 talked about earlier
http://www.cometantenna.com/products.php?CatID=1&famID=5&childID=4

However if i was looking to get an antenna now
i would instead get the Better Dimond dual bander think it is the Dimond XNA-700 which is about 24 ft tall and offers both better gain and better lifespan and antenna durability

http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/x700hna.html

but even using my Comet GP-9 i easily hit repeaters 120-150 miles away (when i use 5 watts or less) and about 300 miles using 50 watts (though i rarly look for repeaters that far out)

i have the GP-9 mounted at 52 or 54 ft at the base
it has survived some very bad storms..

but seeing i am always looking for better antennas i would if buying one now get Dimonds 24 ft dual bander

though you dint ask about beams
I use Gulf Alfa Antenna beams
dual polarity 9 element on about 18 ft boom 2 meters
12 element horizontal 12.5 ft for 1.25 meters
16 element horizontal 12.6 ft beam for 70 cm

only beams perhaps better would be those of M2 (maybe)

Later

BIONIC_TEXAN88,
From the sound of it, the 'J'-pole ought to do you just fine, or the groundplane, either one. Want to hear further? Raise it higher. Neither are difficult to make.
After you've used one of the above you'll have some basis for comparison to some other antenna. And if it does what you want it to, then who needs anything else? Have fun...
- 'Doc

well at work yesterday i found some scrap copper lying around that already had the 90 and t with them so i cut and sweated everything together. all i need now is a radio to see how she works!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.